Industrial and agricultural wastes threaten the integrity of our water resources. Fertilizers, persistent organic pollutants, pharmaceuticals, plastics, and other pollutants found in bodies of water affect both human and ecosystem health. Aging infrastructure responsible for heavy metal pollution in American cities is particularly threatening to the health and wellbeing of children. The goal of this challenge is to address the causes and consequences of water pollution worldwide.
Catalyst 300 – Water Pollution
Librarian for Catalyst 300 - Water Pollution
Reserve Books: Found on the Catalyst Shelves on 3A
- Food, energy and water: the chemistry connection / Ahuja, S. 2015.
- Water Pollution Policies and the American States: Runaway Bureaucracies or Congressional Control? / Hoornbeek, John A. 2011.
- The Ripple Effect: The fate of fresh water in the twenty-first century / Prud'homme, Alex. 2011.
- Elixir / Fagan, Brian. 2011.
- The big thirst / Fishman, Charles. 2012.
- Poison in the well: Radioactive waste in the Oceans at the Dawn of the Nuclear Age / Hamblin, Jacob Darwin. 2008.
- Unlikely Environmentalists: Congress & Clean Water 1945-1972 / Milazzo, Paul Charles. 2006.
- Governing Water: Contentious Transnational Politics and Global Institution Building / Conca, Ken. 2006.
- Clean Water: An introduction to water quality and water pollution control / Vigil, Kenneth. 2003.
- Water Pollution: Causes, Treatments and Solutions! / Begum, Luxmy. 2015.
- Water wars: privatization, pollution, and profit / Shiva, Vandana. 2016.
- Water Quality and Pollution / McMillan, Sheryl. 2017.
- Water Pollution: Types, Causes and Management Strategies / McMillan, Sheryl.
Search Terms | link to search in catalog
Water pollution | Drinking Water--Contamination | Marine pollution | Nonpoint pollution of water | Nutrient pollution of water | Oil pollution of water | Waste disposal in rivers, lakes, etc.
WorldCat- Search for books not available at Lane Library and borrow from another library. (Learn more about interlibrary loan and place requests.)
Discovery Search- Search Lane Library books, e-books, and articles in one place.
Discovery Search- Search books, e-books, and articles in one place.
Academic Search Complete: Wide range of academic disciplines, including for scholarly and popular journals.
BioOne: Full-text journals in biology, ecology, and environmental science.
GreenFile: Collection of scholarly, government, and general interest titles covering environmental studies.
Nexis Uni: over 150,000 news sources, including local, regional, national, and international newspapers.
New York Times: Access to news and archival content from NY Times. If you run into a paywall, here is more information on how to sign up.
ProQuest Social Science Journals: Social science topics.
Statistics and Government Sources
- wisconsin.gov: State of Wisconsin government information
- Access to information from federal agencies
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- CIA World Factbook: Background information on each country in the world.
- Proquest Statistical Abstracts: Over 1400 indexed tables of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- Polls on a variety of topics by a trusted organization.
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: Goal 3: Good Health & Wellbeing; Goal 6: Clean Water & Sanitation; Goal 9: Industry, Innovation & Infrastructure; Goal 12: Responsible Production and Consumption; Goal 14: Life Below Water.
- United Nations University: Institute for Water, Environment, and Health.
- UN - Water
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- U.S. Geological Survey
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources