Approximately 15% of global population is affected by mental health issues including anxiety and depression, substance abuse, and suicide. Mental health issues are often stigmatized and result in social exclusion and disproportionate exposure to other risks. Mental health care heavily relies on expensive medications and therapy while innovative treatments are limited. In the United States, dissolution of mental health care systems parallels the rise in homelessness and incarceration rates. This challenge therefore addresses the causes and consequences of mental health issues while promoting greater well-being for all.
Catalyst 300 – Mental Health
Librarian for Catalyst 300 - Mental Health
Reference resources provide a starting point for your research projects, and Credo Reference provides hundreds of encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, and more in one place.
Reserve Books: Found on the Catalyst Shelves on 3A
- Treating and preventing adolescent mental health disorders :what we know and what we don't know : a research agenda for improving the mental health of our youth / Evans, Dwight L. 2005.
- Insane Consequences: How the Mental Health Industry Fails the Mentally Ill / Jaffe, DJ
- Mental health and mental disorders: an encyclopedia of conditions, treatments, and well-being / Sperry, Len
- Healing the broken mind: transforming America's failed mental health system / Kelly, Timothy. 2009.
- The SAGE handbook of mental health and illness / Pilgrim, David. 2011.
- A Handbook for the study of mental health: social contexts, theories, and systems / Scheid, Teresa. 2011.
- Citizenship and mental health / Rowe, Michael. 2015.
- Normality does not equal mental health: the need to look elsewhere for standards of good psychological health / Bartlett, Steven James. 2011.
- Mental health, race, and culture / Fernando, Suman. 2002.
- Managing madness in the community: the challenge of contemporary mental health care / Dobransky, Kerry. 2014.
- Rural mental health: issues, policies, and best practices / Smalley, K Bryant. 2012.
- The Praeger handbook of community mental health practice: v.1: Working in the local community; v.2: Diverse populations and challenges; v.3: Working in the global community / Maller, Doreen. 2013.
Search Terms | link to search in catalog
Mental health | Child mental health | Interviewing in mental health | Older people in mental health | Relaxation | Self-actualization (Psychology) | Social psychiatry | Stress (Psychology) | Mental illness | Neurobehavioral disorders
WorldCat- Search for books not available at Lane Library and borrow from another library. (Learn more about interlibrary loan and place requests.)
Discovery Search- Search Lane Library books, e-books, and articles in one place.
Discovery Search- Search books, e-books, and articles in one place.
Academic Search Complete: Wide range of academic disciplines, including for scholarly and popular journals.
BioOne: Full-text journals in biology, ecology, and environmental science.
Pub Med: Citations for biomedical literature, with links to full-text content when available.
JSTOR- Full-text archive of scholarly journals in the arts and sciences. Issues from the past three to five years may not be available.
Nexis Uni: over 150,000 news sources, including local, regional, national, and international newspapers.
New York Times: Access to news and archival content from NY Times. If you run into a paywall, here is more information on how to sign up.
PsychInfo/PsychArticles: Behavioral science and related disciplines.
ProQuest Social Science Journals: Social science topics.
Statistics and Government Sources
- wisconsin.gov: State of Wisconsin government information
- Access to information from federal agencies
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- CIA World Factbook: Background information on each country in the world.
- Proquest Statistical Abstracts: Over 1400 indexed tables of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- Polls on a variety of topics by a trusted organization.
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals: Goal 3: Good Health and Wellbeing; Goal 5: Gender Equality; Goal 10: Reduced Inequalities.
- World Health Organization
- United Nations University - International Institute for Global Health
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- World Almanac: Annual book with political, economic, scientific, and educational statistics.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- National Institutes of Health
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services