Approximately a quarter of the world’s urban population lives in slums without access to basic infrastructure. In the United States, estimated 553,000 people are homeless and 90,000 of them are chronically homeless (US HUD, 2018). In 2016, almost 900,000 US household experienced eviction (The Eviction Lab, 2018). Negative outcomes include threats to health and wellbeing, particularly for children. This challenge addresses access to adequate housing worldwide.
Catalyst 300 – Inadequate Housing & Homelessness
Librarian for Catalyst 300 - Inadequate Housing & Homelessness
Reference resources provide a starting point for your research projects, and Credo Reference provides hundreds of encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, and more in one place.
Reserve Books: Found in the Franzen Center for Academic Support on Floor 3A
- Affordable Housing. / 2019.
- Evicted: Poverty and profit in the American city / Matthew Desmond. 2016.
- $2.00 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America / Kathryn Edin. 2015.
- How to house the homeless / Eds. Ingrid Gould Ellen and Brendan O'Flaherty. 2010.
- Street kids : homeless youth, outreach, and policing New York's streets / Kristina E. Gibson. 2011.
- Shantytown, USA : forgotten landscapes of the working poor / Lisa Goff. 2016
- Homeless : poverty and place in urban America / Ella Howard. 2013.
- America’s Trillion Dollar Housing Mistake: the Failure of American Housing Policy / Howard Husock. 2003.
- In Defense of Housing: The Politics of Crisis / David Madden and Peter Marcuse. 2016.
- Revisiting rental housing : policies, programs, and priorities / Eds. Nicolas P. Retsinas and Eric S. Belsky. 2008.
- Housing Policy in the United States / Alex F. Schwartz. 2010.
- American project : the rise and fall of a modern ghetto / Sudhir Alladi Venkatesh. 2000.
- Confronting homelessness : poverty, politics, and the failure of social policy / David Wagner and Jennifer Barton Gilman. 2016.
- The value of homelessness : managing surplus life in the United States / Craig Willse. 2015.
Search Terms | link to search in catalog
Discovery Search: Search books, e-books, and articles in one place.
WorldCat: Search for books not available at Lane Library and borrow from another library.
Academic Search Complete: Wide range of academic disciplines, including for scholarly and popular journals.
JSTOR: Full-text archive of scholarly journals in the arts and sciences. Issues from the past three to five years may not be available.
ProQuest Research Library: Includes both popular and scholarly periodicals covering a variety of subjects, with over 3300 titles available in full text.
ProQuest Social Science Journals: Over 550 full-text journals covering a range of social science topics.
PsycInfo: Behavioral science and related disciplines.
found not available via Lane Library resources. Learn more about interlibrary loan here.
Statistics and Government Sources
CIA World Factbook : Background information on each country in the world
Gallup polls: Public opinion polls regularly conducted on political, social, and economic issues.
Organization for Economic Development & Cooperation: Organization working to improve inequalities around the globe, especially in regards to income inequality.
ProQuest Statistical Abstracts: Over 1400 indexed tables of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
USA.gov: Access to information from federal agencies
US Census Bureau: Access to data from federal surveys and censuses.
US Department of Health and Human Services: Research funded by the HHS on homelessness in the United States.
Wisconsin.gov: State of Wisconsin government and demographic information
World Almanac: Annual book with political, economic, scientific, and educational statistics.
Found in Lane Library stacks: AY67 .N5 W7