Despite producing enough food to feed the world, global population faces hunger and food insecurity. Lack of good foods has negative outcomes on individual and community health. Some regions report high rates of malnutrition associated with health issues and death. In other regions, chronic food-related illnesses lower overall quality of life and further reproduce social inequalities. This challenge addresses availability of, access to, and control over stable, safe, healthy, high quality, and desirable food year long.
Catalyst 300 – Food for All
Librarian for Catalyst 300 - Food for All
- Big hunger: the unholy alliance between corporate America and anti-hunger groups / Fisher, Andrew. 2017.
- Cities and agriculture: developing resilient urban food systems / ed. by Henk deZeeuwand Pay Drechsel. 2015.
- The end of plenty: the race to feed a crowded world. /Bourne, Joel. 2015.
- Fast food: the good, the bad and the hungry / Smith, Andrew F. 2016.
- The five horsemen of the modern world: climate, food, water, disease, and obesity / Callahan, Daniel. 2016.
- Freegans: diving into the wealth of food waste in America / Barnard, Alex V. 2016.
- Gender and Food: A Critical Look at the Food System / Shelley Koch. 2017.
- Health, food and social inequality: critical perspectives on the supply and marketing of food / Mahoney, Carolyn. 2015.
- How to feed the world / Eise, Jessica. 2018.
- Local food environments: food access in America / ed. by Kimberly B. Morland. 2015.
- More than just food: food justice and community change / Broad, Garrett M. 2016.
- Oxford handbook of food ethics / Edited by Anne Barnhill, Mark Budolfson, and Tyler Doggett. 2018.
- Public produce: cultivating our parks, plazas, and streets for healthier cities / Nordahl, Darrin. 2014.
- The reproach of hunger: food, justice, and money in the twenty-first century / Rieff, David. 2015.
- Stand together or starve alone: unity and chaos in the U.S. food movement / Winne, Mark. 2018
- The unending hunger: tracing women and food insecurity across borders / Carney, Megan A. 2015.
- Water scarcity, climate change and conflict in the Middle East: securing livelihoods, building peace / Ward, Christopher. 2017.
- The Weight of Obesity: Hunger and Global Health in Postwar Guatemala / Emily Yates-Doerr. 2015
- What’s making our children sick? How industrial food is causing an epidemic of chronic illness, and what parents (and doctors) can do about it / Perro, Michelle.
Search Terms | link to search in catalog
- Food security | food deserts | food supply | hunger | nutrition policy | nutritionally induced diseases | obesity | food justice
Discovery Search- Search Lane Library books, e-books, and articles in one place.
Discovery Search- Search books, e-books, and articles in one place.
Academic Search Complete: Wide range of academic disciplines, including for scholarly and popular journals.
BioOne: Full-text journals in biology, ecology, and environmental science.
GreenFile: Collection of scholarly, government, and general interest titles covering environmental studies.
JSTOR- Full-text archive of scholarly journals in the arts and sciences. Issues from the past three to five years may not be available.
Nexis Uni: over 150,000 news sources, including local, regional, national, and international newspapers.
PsycInfo/PsycArticles: Behavioral science and related disciplines.
ProQuest Social Science Journals: Social science topics.
Statistics and Government Sources
- CIA World Factbook https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/ : Background information on each country in the world
- Feeding America
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Gallup Poll: Public opinion polls regularly conducted on political, social, and economic issues. Also published annually in print format, found in Quarto at HN90.P8 G35.
- Individual state websites: For example, Wisconsin Department of Health Services and their nutrition and food assistance programs
- Proquest Statistical Abstracts: Over 1400 indexed tables of statistics on the social, political, and economic organization of the United States.
- United Nations Sustainable Development Goals - Goal 1: No Poverty; Goal 2: Zero Hunger; Goal 3: Good Health & Wellbeing; Goal 10: Reduced Inequalities; Goal 11: Sustainable Cities & Communities
- UN System Network on Rural Development and Food Security
- University of Wisconsin - Extension
- USDA Foreign Agriculture Service: Describes USDA’s efforts to assist developing countries improve their agricultural systems. Includes programs, data analysis, and news.
- U.S. Food & Drug Administration
- Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection
- World Almanac: Annual book with political, economic, scientific, and educational statistics.