- Basic Information
- Areas of Interest
- Professional Affiliations
- Professional Experience
Tobin C. Shucha
Assistant Professor of Music and Director of Music Education and Bands
Office: Rodman 150, ext. 8796
- B.M.E., University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
- M.Mus., Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Symphonic Wind Ensemble
- Jazz Ensemble
- Elementary School Music Methods
- Music Theory II
- Music Education
- Wind Music
- Low Brass
- “In: A Qualitative Study Of Induction and Belonging in United States High School Bands” (PhD Dissertation) University of Wisconsin – Madison, May 2019
- American Spirituals for the Young Tuba Euphonium Quartet. Beautidel Music Press, 2006
- “Election Day has Come and Gone...Now What?” Wisconsin School Musician, 2005.
- “It’s Election Time...Do You Know Where Your Candidates Are?” Wisconsin School Musician, 2004.
- “Why Music for a Lifetime? A Public Relations Perspective” Wisconsin School Musician, 2004.
- “The Great Balancing Act: Repertoire Selection from a Public Relations Viewpoint” Tempo: The Official Magazine of the New Jersey Music Educators Association (reprint), 2004.
- “The Great Balancing Act: Repertoire Selection from a Public Relations Viewpoint” Wisconsin School Musician, 2003.
- “Do Better Public Relations Help Create New Performing Arts Facilities? Do New Performing Arts Facilities Create Better Public Relations?” Wisconsin School Musician, 2003.
- “Public Relations for Teachers...From the Inside Out” Wisconsin School Musician, 2002.
- “United We Stand” Wisconsin School Musician, 2002.
- “Your Program’s Very Own Website” Wisconsin School Musician, 2001.
Areas of Interest
- Social dynamics within school music ensembles
- Race, gender & sexuality, and dis/ability issues in music education
- Non-traditional instrumental music classes
- Comprehensive Musicianship through Performance
- Wisconsin Music Educators' Association Council (State Research Chair)
- National Association for Music Education
- National Band Association
- Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
- Associate Conductor, Waunakee Community Band
- "In: A qualitative study of social induction practices in U.S. high school bands" was accepted for presentation at the International Society for Music Education conference in Helsinki, Finland in August, 2020 (cancelled)
- “Social Induction Processes in US High School Bands” Poster presented at the Big Ten Academic Alliance in Music Education meetings, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, October 11, 2018.
- “Disabling Aspects of Traditional Secondary Music Programs: How Emerging Popular Music Education Programs Can Serve All Students” Presented at the Association for Popular Music Education Annual Conference, St. Paul, MN, June 25, 2013.
- “Must We Teach Dead White Guys’ Music? An Examination of Wisconsin’s Instrumental Large
Group Festival Lists” Presented at the American Education Research Association Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, April 10, 2011.
- “Digital Music Production: Acid” Presented at the Technology Academy, Waunakee High School, July, 2004.
- “Websites for Music Programs and Music Educators” Presented at the Professional
Development Day, Dickinson-Iron (MI) Intermediate School District, March, 2002.
- 13 years teaching instrumental music in Wisconsin's public schools
- Senior Lecturer, University of Wisconsin-Platteville Richland