- Basic Information
- Areas of Interest
- Professional Affiliations
Associate Professor of Art History, Director of the Caestecker Art Gallery
Office: Rodman 135
- Ph.D. University of Pittsburgh
- M.A. University of Pittsburgh
- B.A. Gustavus Adolphus College
Art Fakes, Frauds, and Heists
Art Now: Aesthetics, Ethics, and Innovations
Arts of Asia
Catalyst Seminar: Books! Manuscripts, Scrolls, Comics, Hieroglyphs, Emoji, & More.
Catalyst Seminar: Telling Your Story: Art and Identity
Controversies in Museum Studies
- Controversies of Art
- Frank Lloyd Wright: Master Architect, Artist, and Thinker
- The History and Theory of Design and Decoration
- Indigenous Art of the Americas
- Modern Art: Impressionism, Photography, Pop Art, and More
- Museums, Artifacts, and Cultural Heritage
- Senior Seminar in Art
- Travel Course: Old Italy, New Italy
- Visual Studies
- World Art and Design History I: From Cave to the Medieval Era
- World Art and Design History II: From the Renaissance to Today
- Nygard, Travis. “It is Time to Rethink Regionalism in Midwestern Life: How National Magazines Caricatured an Art Movement and Hid Its Critical and Community-Engaged Edge.” Middle West Review, in press.
- Nygard, Travis. “Creative Responses to Ripon College’s Old Master Portraits by Anthony van Dyck.” In The Midwest Paint Group Responses to Ripon College’s Van Dyck Paintings. The Midwest Paint Group, 2019, pages 5-7.
- Wren, Linnea, Travis Nygard, Kaylee Spencer, and Cynthia Kristan-Graham, eds. Landscapes of the Itza: Archaeology and Art History at Chichen Itza and Neighboring Sites in Yucatan, Mexico. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2018.
- Nygard, Travis, "To Face or to Flee from the Foe: Women in Warfare at Chichen Itza (chapter)." Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2018.
- Nygard, Travis, Kaylee Spencer, and Linnea Wren. “Contemplating Carvings at the Feet of Queen Chaak Kab: Using Mixed Methodology to Understand Sculpture at Yo’okop.” In The Maya of the Cochuah Region: Archaeological and Ethnographic Perspectives on the Northern Lowlands, edited by Justine Shaw, pages 57-76. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press. 2015
- Wren, Linnea and Travis Nygard. “The State of Research in the Cochuah Region of Quintana Roo.” In The Maya of the Cochuah Region: Archaeological and Ethnographic Perspectives on the Northern Lowlands, edited by Justine Shaw, pages 23-38. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press. 2015
- Wren, Linnea, Travis Nygard, and Kaylee Spencer. “Establishing and Translating Maya Spaces at Tonina and Ocosingo: How Indigenous Portraits were Moved, Mutilated, and Made Christian in New Spain.” In Memory Traces: Analyzing Sacred Space at Five Mesoamerican Sites, edited by Laura Amrhein and Cynthia Kristan-Graham, pages 169-202. Boulder: University Press of Colorado. 2015.
- Nygard, Travis. “Art Depicting Food” and “Art Using Food as a Medium.” In The SAGE Encyclopedia of Food Issues, edited by Ken Albala. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Reference.
- Nygard, Travis and Vincent Tomasso. “Andy Warhol’s Alexander the Great: An Ancient Portrait for Alexander Iolas in a Postmodern Frame.” Classical Receptions Journal, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 253-275, 2016.
- Nygaard, Travis, Wren, Linnea, Shaw, Justine. “The Shifting Spatial Nexus of an Urban Maya Landscape: A Case Study of Architecture, Sculpture, and Ceramics at Yo'okop,” co-written chapter in Maya Imagery, Architecture, and Activity: Space and Spatial Analysis in Art History, edited by Kaylee Spencer and Maline Werness-Rude. University of New Mexico Press, 2015, 306-343.
- Nygard, Travis and Pamela H. Simpson. “Indians Playing Indian at the Midwestern Corn Palaces, 1892-2013.” Southeastern College Art Conference (SECAC) Review, 20013.
- Nygard, Travis. “Food and Art.” In Routledge International Handbook of Food Studies, edited by Ken Albala. London: Routledge, 2012.
- Nygard, Travis E. and Pamela H. Simpson. “Indians at the Corn Palaces: Race and Reception at Two Midwestern Festival Buildings.” Buildings & Landscapes: Journal of the Vernacular Architecture Forum. Vol 17, No. 1, (2010) pages 35-52.
- Nygard, Travis. “Grant Wood and the Visual Culture of Agribusiness.” Athanor. Vol 27, 2009, pages 79-85.
- Nygard, Travis and Alec Sonsteby. “Castration.” In The Cultural Encyclopedia of the Body, edited by Victoria Pitts, pages 502-507. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press (2008).
Areas of Interest
- Art history, theory and criticism
- Modern and contemporary art
- Ancient Mayan art and archaeology
- Modern and contemporary art
- Visual culture
- Maya and Mexican art
- Food and farming
- College Art Association
Wren, Linnea, Travis Nygard, and Kaylee Spencer. To Face or to Flee from the Foe: Women in Warfare at Chichen Itza. Lecture presented to the Maya Society of Minnesota, St. Thomas University, St. Paul, December 6, 2019.
Wren, Linnea, Kaylee Spencer, and Travis Nygard. Women of All Repute: Reconstructing the Lives, Roles, and Contributions of Maya Women. Workshop presented to the Maya Society of Minnesota, St. Thomas University, St. Paul, December 7, 2019.
Spencer, Kaylee, Linnea Wren, and Travis Nygard. Caching the Natural and Supernatural Worlds: An Analysis of a Maya Cache Vessel Lid. SECAC: Southeastern College Art Conference, Chattanooga, TN, October 16-19, 2019.
Nygard, Travis, Kaylee Spencer, and Linnea Wren. Transforming Texcatlipoca: Aztec Obsidian in Christian Europe. SECAC: Southeastern College Art Conference. Birmingham, AL, October 17-20, 2018.
Wren, Linnea and Travis Nygard. Gazing into Murillo’s Black Mirrors: Reflections Between Europe and the Americas. College Art Association Annual Conference. Los Angeles, CA. February 21-24, 2018.
Nygard, Travis. Portraiture and the Social Brain: Looking Anew at American Iconic Paintings. Southeastern College Art Conference. Columbus, OH. October 25-28, 2017.
Nygard, Travis. "Beautiful Persuasion in Christian Texts: An Analysis of Imagery in the Moralized Ovid and Saint John's Bible Manuscripts." Midwest Conference on Christianity and Literature: Illuminating Words, Transforming Beauty. Spring Arbor University. February 19-20, 2016.
Nygard, Travis. "Can we Understand the Sexuality of Andy Warhol’s Alexander the Great?: Historical Fiction as Primary Documentation." The Southeastern College Art Conference, Sarasota, FL, October 8-11, 2014.
Wren, Linnea, Kaylee Spencer, and Travis Nygard. “What do Art Historians Contribute to the Maya Picture?: Approaches to Understanding Maya Art.” “Beaker and Brush” series at the Science Museum of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN, June 8, 2013.
Wren, Linnea, Kaylee Spencer, and Travis Nygard. “To Face or to Flee from the Foe: Women in Warfare at Chichen Itza.” The Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology, Memphis, TN, April 22, 2012.
Nygard, Travis. “Was Grant Wood a Feminist? Rethinking the Murals.” Symposium “Celebrating Grant Wood” at the University of Iowa, April 14, 2012.
Bender, Lisa, Gursimran Walia, Krishna Kambhampaty, Kendall E. Nygard, and Travis Nygard. “Social Sensitivity and Classroom Team Projects: An Empirical Investigation,” presented at the ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE) conference, Raleigh, North Carolina, February 29 – March 3, 2012.
Nygard, Travis, Kaylee Spencer, Linnea Wren, and Amanda Hankerson. “Sculptural Mutilation at Palenque and Tonina: Rethinking the Evidence.” The Southeastern College Art Conference. Savannah, Georgia, November 10, 2011.
Nygard, Travis. “Grasshoppers and the Damnation of Memory in a Farming Community: The Story of Two Destroyed Sculptures.” The Joint 2011 Annual Meetings of the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society (AFHVS), Association for the Study of Food and Society (ASFS), & Society for Anthropology of Food and Nutrition, held in Missoula, Montana, June 10, 2011.
Nygard Travis and Linnea Wren. “Bridging Archaeological and Art Historical Methodologies in the Cochuah Region of Mexico: A Study of Space at the Maya Site Yo’okop.” 2011 Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology. Sacramento, California, April 1, 2011