President, Professor of Politics and Government
- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- Ph.D., Politics, New York University
- M.A., American Foreign Policy and International Economics, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
- B.A., American History and Italian language, Bowdoin College
- Introduction to International Relations
- The Politics and Economics of Higher Education
- Old Italy, New Italy (In Focus)
- American Foreign Policy and Film
Click to view the President's page.
Awards & Honors
- National Public Radio News Director’s Award, Division C, Second Place, KGOU Radio: World Views, “Remembering Anthony Shadid,” June 2013
- Oklahoma Society of Professional Journalists, Second Place, for Radio Special Projects, “World Views: Banning Sharia and International Law in Oklahoma,” April 2012
- White Buffalo Mask Award for Outstanding Service and Contributions to the Mission of the University Oklahoma’s School of Drama, May 2010
- Oklahoma Society of Professional Journalists, First Place, for Radio Interview/Talk Show Program, “International Roundtable,” April 2010
- The St. Mary’s College of Maryland Student Government’s Student Life Award, 2005-2006
- The St. Mary’s College of Maryland Student Government’s Faculty Service Award, 2004-2005
- “As nationalism surges, Italy must reckon with its fascist past.” The Washington Post, Apr. 29, 2019.
- “Forget the All-Star Game. Start Watching Italian Basketball.” The New York Times, Feb. 16, 2019.
- “The man who pioneered Trumpism.” The Washington Post, Nov. 15, 2018.
- “That So-Called Emoluments Judge Is My Dad.” The Baltimore Sun, Aug. 1, 2018.
- “Coming Full Circle on Teaching Trump,” The Chronicle of Higher Education, Feb. 6, 2018.
- "Where have you gone, Elliot Richardson?," The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, March 24, 2017
- "Want to beat Trumpism in 2018? Get organized," The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Feb. 17, 2017
- "The Inauguration Speech Trump Won't Make," The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Jan. 17, 2017
- "Was Spiro T. Agnew the original Donald Trump?," The Baltimore Sun, Dec. 18, 2016
- "Clinton's Appomattox Moment," The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Oct. 29, 2016
- "Your President and Mine," The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Oct. 8, 2016
- "A Republican Return to Ripon," The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Sept. 28, 2016
- “Here’s how I’ll teach Trump to my college students this fall: Calling out the candidate’s bigotry without alienating his supporters,” The Washington Post, Aug. 11, 2016
- "Donald Trump? Look No Further than Spiro Agnew," (with Charles J. Holden and Jerald Podair) The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, April 10, 2016.
- "The GOP and Those Nattering Nabobs of Negativity,” (with Charles J. Holden and Jerald Podair) The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Nov. 8, 2015
- "Free Speech on Campus: It's for Conservatives Too," The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Oct. 17, 2015
- "Channeling Spiro Agnew in the Baltimore Riots," (with Charles J. Holden and Jerald Podair) The Baltimore Sun, May 9, 2015
- “Ben Bradlee, Spiro Agnew and the ‘Gray-Haired Grandmother Defense,’” The Baltimore Sun, Oct. 29, 2014
- “It’s time to lower the drinking age,”Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Aug. 14, 2014
- “Going after the CIA’s new family jewels,”Chicago Sun-Times, March 19, 2014
- “History lessons, with popcorn, for America’s undergraduates,” Los Angeles Times, Feb. 12, 2014
- “College’s Rising Returns”, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Feb. 6, 2014
- “Disgraced Spiro Agnew Would Have a Radio Show Today,” (with Charles J. Holden) Chicago Sun-Times, Oct. 10, 2013
- “True Student Athletes Are in Division III,” (with Tom Kunkel) The Wisconsin State Journal, Sept. 21, 2013
- “Time to Rethink Redskins Name,” Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Sept. 9, 2013
- “College Is Not for Suckers” (with Ruth Vedvik), Chicago Sun-Times, Dec. 26, 2012
- “Shopping for the Best College Deal” (with Ruth Vedvik), St. Paul Pioneer Press, Dec. 20, 2012
- “Making College Worth the Time, Money,” Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Sept. 27, 2012
- “When Well Educated Politicians Cry ‘Snob’” (with Charles J. Holden), The Baltimore Sun, March 8, 2012
Recent Scholarly Work:
- Holden, Charles J., Zach P. Messitte and Jerald E. Podair. Republican Populist: Spiro Agnew and the Origins of Donald Trump's America. Charlottesville: The University of Virginia Press, 2019.
- Webster, W.P. & Messitte, Z. P. (2017). “Tackling the Emerging New Norms in Higher Education in Post-Recession America,” in H. Alphin Jr., J. Lavine, Chan, R. (Eds.) Disability and Equity in Higher Education, (Hershey: IGI Global), 2017, pp. 46-62.
- Zach Messitte and Suzette Grillot (eds.), Buon Giorno Arezzo: A Postcard from Tuscany, (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press). 2016
- The People's Party: Spiro Agnew and the Birth of the New Republican Party, Jerald Podair, Charles J. Holden and Zach Messitte, (Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press), under contract.
- Zach Messitte and Suzette Grillot (eds.), Understanding the Global Community, (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press). 2013
- "ESCLUSIVA | ZACK MESSITTE E IL NEW YORK TIMES" [Exclusive | Zach Messitte and The New York Times], DinamoTV, Feb. 27, 2019.
- Midterm Elections Can Go Poorly for President's Party," Arizona Public Radio (KJZZ), Feb. 13, 2018.
- "Teaching About Trump," Wisconsin Public Radio, Aug. 17, 2016.
- KFIZ Radio Interview, July 9, 2012
- A sampling of Messitte as host of NPR's World Views from 2009-2012: Brazil's Ambassador to the US, Mauro Veira; The New York Times Chief Washington Correspondent David Sanger; Former U.S. Senator and 1972 Democratic nominee for President George McGovern
Areas of Interest
- American foreign policy
- Italian politics and history
- American politics
- Media and higher education