Associate Professor of Communication, Chair of Communication Department, Mentor for Oral Communication and Collaboration Skills (Catalyst Curriculum)
Office: Smith 211
- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- Professional Affiliations
- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University
- M.A., Colorado State University
- A.B., Ripon College
- Public Speaking
- Rhetoric of Social Movements
- Rhetorical Criticism
- Political Communication
- American Public Address
- Communication and Environment
Awards & Honors
- The Center for the Study of Institutions and Innovation $5,000 grant to research "Academic Freedom and Faculty Free Speech in Higher Education."
- James R. Underkofler Award for Excellence in Teaching, Ripon College, April 2017.
- The Rex Mix Program of Excellence Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Communication Department in the United States, from the National Communication Association (Departmental Award, with Dr. Jody Roy)
- May Bumby Severy Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Ripon College, 2006
- Robert G. Gunderson Award for the Outstanding Debut Paper in Public Address Division, National Communication Association
- The Ninth Annual Kenneth Burke Essay Contest, Honorable Mention, for essay titled “The CIO’s Comic Book Campaign,” Penn State University
- Sparks Fellowship, Penn State University
- Phi Beta Kappa, Ripon College
- "How 'Patriotic Correctness' Squelches Free Expression: An Ideographic Analysis of Patriotism," Plenary session presentation at the Civil Liberties Symposium, University of Wisconsin-Stout, April 2018.
- Martin, Steven E. "Debunking Hitler: True Comics as Counter-Propaganda," [Chapter 9] in The Ten Cent War: Comic Books, Propaganda, and World War II. Trischa Goodnow and James Kimball, eds. The University Press of Mississippi (2017).
- "Kaepernick’s Stand: Patriotism, Protest, and Professional Sports," [co-authored with Guy McHendry '06] in Journal of Contemporary Rhetoric (2016).
- Martin, Steven E. “John L. Lewis, ‘Speech at the Fifty-Fifth Annual Convention of the American Federation of Labor’ (16 October 1935),” Voices of Democracy 8 (2013): 42‐61.
- “Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker’s Strategies for Taking on Public Unions.” Journal of Contemporary Rhetoric, Issue 1, vol. 2 (2011).
- “Patriots and Saints: How the NFL Helped America Cope with Terrorists and Natural Disasters,” [co-authored with Amanda Breitenfeldt '06] in Sports Mania: Essays on Fandom and The Media, McFarland & Co. (2008).
- “Establishing Counter-Hegemony through Narratives: The Comic Books of the Congress of Industrial Organizations,” in Who Says? Working-Class Rhetoric, Class Consciousness and Community, University of Pittsburg Press (2007).
- “Anti-Conspiracy and Anti-Propaganda Rhetoric in Joe Worker and the Story of Labor: The Use of the Comic Book Form.” Journal of the Wisconsin Communication Association (Summer 2000).
- “Stock Issues-Based Policy Speech Small Group Exercise,” Communication Teacher 14 (Winter 2000).
Areas of Interest
- The labor movement
- The environmental movement
- Rhetoric and religion
- Board of Advisors, Center for the Study of Institutions and Innovation.
- Member of the committee of the National Communication Association’s (NCA) Donald P. Cushman Memorial Award for Student Scholarship
- Official member of National Speakers Bureau Secular Student Alliance