- Basic Information
- Professional Affiliations
Associate Professor of Exercise Science, Chair of Exercise Science Department
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- M.S., University of Oregon
- B.S., Indiana University
- Cole, M.E. and Gaule, A. Under review. Psychological first aid and the athletic trainer: Honing underappreciated competencies. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training.
- Piper, T., Cole, M.E. and Andrade, P. In preparation. The effects of a basic core and upper body strengthening program on air rifle marksmanship. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research
- Welty, J.M., Hart, A., and Cole, M.E. (2015). Top model: Coaching models in Division III track & field. Techniques, 9(2), 450-56.
- Piper, T.P., Cole, M.E., Menk, D., and Schulte, J. (2014). Meningitis awareness for athletic trainers. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training,19(2).
- Cole, M.E. and Smith, R.E. (2014). Raising awareness for adaptive physical activities: scuba diving. Palaestra, 28(1).
- Cole, M.E., Kahanov, L., Eberman, L.E., Schmidt, R.L. (2013). Athletic trainers as event medical coordinators. International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training 18(1), pp. 43-47.
- Weyman, T., Giangarra, C.E., Cole, M.E. (1996). Waterskiing injuries. Journal of Sports Chiropractic and Rehabilitation. (10). pp. 111-114.
- Cole, M.E. In preparation. Chapter 4: Physical and Mental Preparation. In Hart, A. & Brooks, F.E. (Eds.) The Student Athlete’s Guide to College Success.
- Fletcher, T., Cole, M.E., Meyer, B.B. (2008). Disordered Eating. In Mensch, J. & Miller, G.M. (Eds.) The Athletic Trainer's Guide to Psychosocial Intervention and Referral. Thorofare, NJ:Slack.
- Cole, M.E. and Hart, A. In preparation. Handling Toxic Youth Sport Parents: A Guide for Physical Educators, Coaches, and Administrators.
- Association for Applied Sport Psychology
- American Psychological Association
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association
- Critical Incident Stress Management Team, Illinois Athletic Trainers’ Association
- United States Olympic Sports Medicine Society
- Cole, M.E., (2017).Developing Psychological Skills as an Athletic Training Student. Presented for the Great Lakes Athletic Trainers' Association, Chicago, IL.
- Cole, M.E., (2017). Psychological Skills for Athletic Trainers. Presented at the Wisconsin Athletic Trainers' Association, Wisconsin Dells, WI.
- Cole, M.E., and Hart, A. (2016). Strategies for negotiating toxic youth sport parents. A paper presented at the 19th Annual National Coaching Conference, Hosted by the U.S. Coaching Coalition, Seattle, WA.
- Cole, M.E. (2016). Communicating with difficult coaches. An invited presentation at the 42nd Annual Wisconsin Athletic Trainers’ Association Business Meeting and Symposium. Green Bay, WI
- Cole, M.E., and Hart, A. (2015). Youth sport parents: Toxic or tonic? A paper presented at the North American Society for the Sociology of Sport Annual Conference, Santa Fe, NM.
- Cole, M.E., Krzyzkowski, R., Thornton, K., Paulsen, T., Thompson, D., and van Eijkelenburg, M., (2015). Passport to recovery: Helping student athletes surmount injury. A paper presented at the 40th Annual Conference of the Association for Applied Sport Psychology, Indianapolis, IN.
- Cole, M.E. and Andreadis, A. (2014). New emergency skills for athletic training practice. A paper presented at the Illinois Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium. Lisle, IL.
- Cole, M.E. and Schmidt, R.L. (2013). Implementing new emergency care skills into your athletic training practice. A paper presented at the Great Lakes Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium. Wheeling, IL.
- Cole, M.E., Schmidt, R.L. (2012). Athletic trainers as medical coordinators: Aces in their places. National Athletic Trainers’ Association Annual Meeting and Clinical Symposium. St. Louis, MO.
- Cole, M.E. (2011). Elite athletes’ emotional Skills: The forgotten assessment for athletic therapists. A paper presented at 45th Canadian Athletic Therapists Association National Convention and 4th World Congress: World Federation of Athletic Training and Therapy, Banff, Alberta, CANADA.
- Cole, M.E. (2007). Emotion in sport: Keeping your eye on the ball. Paper presented to the Wisconsin Athletic Trainers’ Association, Nekoosa, WI.
- Cole, M.E. (2005). Athletic/Exercise participation as a precursor to disordered eating. Paper presented at the Association for the Advancement of Applied Sport Psychology annual conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA.
- Cole, M.E., (2003). Steroids: Just say know. Presentation delivered to Wisconsin Association for Health Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, Green Bay, WI.