Emily “Molly” Margaretten
Associate Professor of Anthropology
Office: East 303
- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- Professional Affiliations
- B.A. in Sociology and Anthropology, Colgate University
- M.A. in Anthropology, Yale University
- Ph.D. in Anthropology, Yale University
- ANT 110 Introduction to Anthropology
- ANT 175 Africa and Human Rights
- ANT 210 Societies of Africa
- ANT 232 Medical Anthropology
- ANT 215 Ethnographic Research Methods
- ANT 222 Gender, Sex, and Sexuality
- ANT 327 Global Youth Cultures
- ANT 314 Religion, Magic, and Witchcraft
- ANT 335 Urban Anthropology
- ANT 402 History of Anthropological Theory
Personal website: www.margaretten.info
Awards & Honors
- ACM Director and Visiting Faculty Member, Botswana: Development in Southern Africa Study Abroad Program, 2016
- Max Planck Institute Fellowship for Writing Invisibility Project, 2013
- ACM Director and Visiting Faculty Member, Tanzania: Ecology and Human Origins Study Abroad Program, 2012
- Ethical Leadership Faculty Summer Grant, 2011
- Andrew Mellon Foundation Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2008-2010
- Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research, 2005
- Fulbright-Hays: Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Grant, 2003-2004
- National Science Foundation (NSF): Cultural Anthropology Dissertation Grant, 2003-2004
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS): Summer Fellowship, 2001
- 2015. Street Life Under a Roof: Youth Homelessness in South Africa. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- 2011. Standing (K)in: Street Youth and Street Relatedness. City and Society. 23(S1):44-64.
- 2011. uGogo: Residing with the Spectral in South Africa. Transition. Spring Issue 104:2-27.
- 2009. Street Life under a Roof. Anthropology and Humanism. 34(2)163-178.
Chapters in Edited Books
- 2014. Parting Homes in KwaZulu-Natal IN Ekhaya: The Politics of Home in KwaZulu-Natal. Pp. 190-213. Pietermaritzburg: University of KwaZulu-Natal Press.
- 2013. I Get Money, Now I Get Trouble: Tanzanian Women in Durban IN Writing Invisibility: Conversations on the Hidden City. Pp. 70-81. Mail & Guardian and African Centre for Migration and Society.
- 2013. Making Hairdo: Paucity and Proverbs in Durban. Mail & Guardian.
- 2015 (in press). War in Worcester: Youth and the Apartheid State by Pamela Reynolds. Political and Legal Anthropology Review.
- 2012 Money and Violence: Financial Self-Help Groups in a South African Township by Erik Bähre. American Ethnologist. 39(3):644-645.
Areas of Interest
- Global health
- Sub-saharan Africa
- Youth cultures
- Gender and sexuality
- Kinship studies
- Urban anthropology
- Transnationalism and migration
- American Anthropological Association
- Association for Africanist Anthropology
- Association for Political and Legal Anthropology
- Society for Humanistic Anthropology
- Society for Urban, National, and Transnational/Global Anthropology
- African Studies Association