Eddie Lowry Jr.
Professor of Greek, Professor of Latin, Marie Zarwell Uihlein Chair in Classical Studies
Office: West 301
- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- Ph.D., Harvard University
- M.Div., Harvard University
- B.A., Hampden-Sydney College
- Latin (elementary, intermediate, advanced)
- Classical Greek (on demand)
- Rome’s Rise to World Power
- Foundations of Western Civilization
Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Educator, Wisconsin Association of Foreign Language Teachers, 2013.
- President, Wisconsin Association of Foreign Language Teachers, 2000-02.
- OVATIO (award for distinguished professional service), Classical Association of the Middle West and South, April 2000.
- Chair, Joint Committee on Classics in American Education of the American Philological Association and the American Classical League, 1997-99.
- Excellence in Leadership: Faculty/Staff Mentor Award, Ripon College, April 1999.
- Latin Teacher of the Year Award, Wisconsin Latin Teachers Association, November 199
- “Glaucus, the Leaves, and the Heroic Boast of Iliad 6.146-211,” in The Ages of Homer, A Tribute to Emily Townsend Vermeule, ed. by Jane B. Carter and Sarah P. Morris (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1995), 193-203.
- Thersites: A Study in Comic Shame, Harvard Dissertations in the Classics Series (New York Garland Publishing, 1991).
Areas of Interest
- Greek and Roman mythology
- Religions in the ancient world
- Classical epic
- On “Exclusus Amator: The Lover Shut Out”, Latin sessions of the annual conference of the Wisconsin Association of Foreign Language Teachers, November 2.