- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- Professional Affiliations
- Professional Experience
Associate Professor of Mathematical Sciences
Office: Todd Wehr 211
- B.A. Mathematics, Beloit College
- Ph. D. Mathematics, University of Arizona
- MATH 120 – Elementary Statistics
- Catalyst 120 – Precise Propositions and Dicey Decisions
- MATH 130 – Introduction to Mathematical Thinking and Writing
- MATH 201 – Calculus I
- MATH 202 – Calculus II
- MATH 206 – Multivariable Calculus
- MATH 224 – Linear Algebra
- MATH 248 – Discrete Mathematics
- MATH 286 – Introduction tp Programming in Python
- MATH 405 – Real Analysis
- MATH 412 – Topology
- MATH 422 – Algebraic Structures
- MATH 501/502 – Senior Seminar
Awards & Honors
- 13 for 13 Grant for a 3D Printer (with Bob Wallace, Andrea Young, and others) – Ripon College
- AIBL Small Grant from the Academy of Inquiry-Based Learning
- Phi Beta Kappa of Beloit College
- Cornwell-Huffer Prize in Mathematics – Beloit College
- VIGRE Fellowship – University of Arizona (Five Times)
- Presidential Scholarship – Beloit College
- Differentiability at Infinity via Stereographic Projection. In preparation.
- Strange Spinners and Diverse Dice in Chutes and Ladders, with Andrea Young et
- Long-Term vs Short-Term Strategy in the Game of Monopoly, with Andrea Young and Mitchell Eithun. The Journal of Undergraduate Mathematics and Its Applications – Spring 2017.
- Knots, Molecules, and the Universe: An Introduction to Topology, with Erica Flapan (lead author) et al. American Mathematical Society – 2016
- The Poisson Geometry of SU(1,1), with Philip Foth – Journal of Mathematical Physics – September 2010
Areas of Interest
- Lie theory
- Poisson geometry
- Mathematical Association of America: Student Activities Coordinator for the Wisconsin Section
- Short-Term vs. Long-Term Strategy in the Game of Monopoly, Joint Mathematics Meetings in Seattle, Washington, Jan. 7, 2016.
- Modeling Monopoly: Discrete Approximations, Google PageRank, and Homotopies. Ripon College, Nov. 10, 2015.
- Differentiability at Infinity: Wrapping Curves around the Sphere. Joint Mathematics Meetings. Baltimore, Maryland. Jan. 14, 2014. Smoothness at Infinity: An Introduction to Stereographic Projection. Beloit College. March 1, 2013.
- Conjectures about Orbits: Looking for Closure. MAA Section Meeting. Milwaukee School of Engineering. April 13, 2012.
- The Poisson Geometry of SU(1; 1). AMS/MAA Joint Meetings. Boston, Massachusetts. Jan. 5, 2012.
- The PCMI Undergraduate Faculty Program: Writing a Book with Eighteen Coauthors. Ripon College. Feb. 23, 2012.
- Icing on a 6-Dimensional Pastry: A Non-Technical Introduction to Dierential Geometry. Beloit College. Feb. 12, 2010.
- The Prisoner’s Dilemma and the Game of Chicken. Ripon College. Sept. 15, 2009.
- Orbits of Real Forms on Complex Flag Manifolds. Geometry Seminar, University of Arizona. April 14, 2009.
- Linearization and an Introduction to Poisson Lie Theory. Saint Francis University. Feb. 12, 2009.
- Iwasawa Decompositions. Graduate Geometry Seminar, University of Arizona. Jan. 31, 2007.
- Cartan Decompositions. Graduate Geometry Seminar, University of Arizona. Jan. 24, 2007.
- Line Bundles, Divisors, and Sheaves. Graduate Mathematics Colloquium, University of Arizona. April 26, 2006.
- Gröbner Bases and Convex Polytopes. Graduate Mathematics Colloquium, University of Arizona. Oct. 20, 2004.
- Quantitative Skills Coordinator for the Catalyst Curriculum at Ripon College