- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- Professional Affiliations
Associate Professor of Biology, Chair of Biology Department
Office: Farr 214
- 1999 Ph.D., Virginia Polytechnic & State University , Blacksburg, Virginia (biology)
- 1992 B.A., University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois (biology with honors)
- Env 120 – Environmental Studies
- Biology 200 – Scientific Writing
- Bioloby 206 – Bird Biology
- Biology 216 – Vertebrate Zoology
- Biology 259 – Evolution
- Biology 339 – Ecology
- Biology 341 – Departmental Studies – Animal Behavior
- Biology 501, 502 – Senior Studies
Awards & Honors
- 2012 & 2018 May Bumby Severy Class of 1908 Award
- Bluebird Restoration Association of Wisconsin Teacher of the Year Award 2018
- Included in "The Oshkosh 100," most influential people in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, as compiled by journalism students at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh. Khan is president of the Oshkosh Zoological Society.
- Anhalt, C. and Khan, M.Z. 2010. Effects of supplemental food on the first brood period in the Eastern Bluebird. Passenger Pigeon 72(4):331-340.
- Gesquiere, L.R., Khan, M., Shek, L., Wango, T.L., Wango, E.O., Alberts S.C. & Altmann, J. 2008. Coping with a challenging environment: effects of seasonal variability and reproductive status on glucocorticoid concentrations of female baboons (Papio cynocephalus). Hormones and Behavior 54:410-416.
- Gesquiere, L.R., Altmann J, Khan, M.Z., Couret, J, Yu, J.C., Endres, C.S., Lynch, J.W., Ogala, P., Fox, E.A., Alberts, S.C., & Wango, E.O., 2005. Coming of age: Steroid hormones of wild immature baboons (Papio cynocephalus).American Journal of Primatology 67: 83-100.
- Good, T., Khan, M.Z., Lynch, J.W., & Altmann, J. 2003. Biochemical and physiological validation of a corticosteroid radioimmunoassay for plasma and fecal samples in oldfield mice (Peromyscus polionotus). Physiology and Behavior 80: 405-411.
- Lynch, J.W., Khan, M.Z., Altmann, J, Njahira, M.N., & Rubenstein, N. 2003. Concentrations of four fecal steroids in wild baboons: short-term storage conditions and consequences for data interpretation. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 132: 264-271.
- Khan, M.Z., Altmann, J., Yu, J., & Isani, S. 2002. A matter of time: storage of fecal samples for steroid analysis. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 128: 57-64.
- Khan, M.Z. & Walters, J.R. 2001. Effects of helpers on breeder survival in the red-cockaded woodpeckers (Picoides borealis). Behav. Ecol. and Sociobiol. 51: 336-344.
- Khan, M.Z., McNabb, F.A., Walters, J.R., & Sharp, P.J. 2001. “Patterns of testosterone and prolactin concentration and reproductive behavior of helpers and breeders in the cooperatively breeding red-cockaded woodpecker (Picoides borealis). Hormones and Behavior 40: 1-13.
- Khan, M.Z. & Walters, J.R. 2000. An analysis of reciprocal exchange of helping behaviour in the red-cockaded woodpecker (Picoides borealis).Behav. Ecol. and Sociobiol. 47:376-381.
- Khan, M.Z. & Walters, J.R. 1997. Is helping a beneficial learning experience for red-cockaded woodpecker (Picoides borealis) helpers? Behav. Ecol. and Sociobiol. 41: 69-73.
Areas of Interest
- Fall 2013 – Faculty director for the ACM Tanzania Program.
- Evolution of helping behavior
- Behavioral ecology
- Behavioral endocrinology
- Fond du Lac County Coordinator for the Bluebird Restoration Association of Wisconsin
- President, Board of Directors, Oshkosh Zoo Society
- American Ornithological Society Annual Meeting, Anchorage, AK “Social polygyny and genetic confirmation using minION DNA sequencing in the Eastern Bluebird.” June 27, 2019
- Androgen metabolite measurement in eastern bluebird (Sialia sialis) adults and nestlings. North American Ornithological Council Meetings. August 17-20, 2016. Washington, D.C.