- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
Associate Professor of Philosophy, Chair of Philosophy Department, Coordinator of First-Year Studies Program
Office: East 205
- B.A. in Social Sciences, Colorado State University
- M.A.R. in Theological Ethics, Yale Divinity School, Yale University
- M.A., Ph.D. in Philosophy, University of Minnesota
- PHL 120 Introduction to Philosophy
- PHL 175 Vices and Virtues (FYS)
- PHL 202 Business Ethics
- PHL 241 Ethics
- PHL 243 Philosophy and the Environment
- PHL 245 Professional Ethics
- PHL 281 Human Nature
- PHL 300 Topics: Philosophy through Film
- PHL 324 History of Philosophy: Classical to Renaissance
- PHL 353 Human Rights
- PHL 491/492 Senior Statement Seminar (co-taught with Vance Cope-Kasten)
Awards & Honors
- AAUP Summer Institute Scholarship. Macalester College, July 2009
- Ethical Leadership Faculty Course Creation Grants, Ripon College (2007, 2009)
- Internship Supervisor: Phil Mack. Ethical Leadership Program – Student Summer Internship Grant: Research Project: Philosophical Reflections on Tolerance
- Travel grants. Ripon College, 2008
- Who’s Who in America, 2007 – present
- Valparaiso Practice Grant. “Practicing Our Faith with Non-Traditional, Pre-Seminary Students.” August 2004 to June 2006 ($10,000 for a two-year program). University of Dubuque. Consulted on a $5,000 supplementary grant extension for this project, June 2006
- Nominated to Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers, 2005
- McElroy Student/Faculty Research Project. “The Virtues of Passion: Reflections on the Ethics of Emotion.” Iowa College Foundation. Joint grant for $1,750 with my student, Christoffer Heindel. 2004-2005. University of Dubuque
- Teaching of the Bible Grant. Office of Educational Institutions, Presbyterian Church, USA. 2003-2005 ($10,000 for a two-year program). University of Dubuque
- Pew Younger Scholar Graduate Summer Seminar, 1998
- “Practices of Nonviolent Intellectual Inquiry: An MacIntyrean Account of Toleration in the Pursuit of Truth.” Peace and Justice Studies Association/Wisconsin Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies Conference. Marquette University. October 2009. (Forthcoming)
- “Reflections on Toleration: Nonviolence and Identity.” Moderator for Ripon student panel of Luke Lockhart, Phil Mack, and Celena Simpson. PJSA/WIPCS Conference. October 2009 (Forthcoming)
- “The Beginning and End of My Tenure at UD.” Iowa Academe 13:2 Spring 2009.
- “The Practice of Loving One’s Enemies: The Transcultural Practice of Pursuing Truth.” Annual Conference of the International Society for MacIntyrean Enquiry. St. Meinrad’s Seminary, Indiana, July 2008.
- “Commitment to Teaching in a Postmodern Age.” Workshop for “Faith and Academic Commitments in a Postmodern World.” Faculty and Graduate Student Symposium. Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison, April 2008.
- “Conceptualizing and Cultivating a Virtue: Paradoxes of Courage.” Conference on the Cardinal Virtues: Courage. Virterbo University, March 2008.
- “Strategic Practices for Communal Formation and Renewal: Applying Lessons from Academia.” Journal of Supervision and Training in Ministry (26) 2006: pp. 63-76.
- Book Review. Educating People of Faith: Exploring the History of Jewish and Christian Communities. John Van Engen (ed.). Teaching Theology and Religion 9.4 (2006)
- “Reforming MacIntyre: Reflections on a Tradition-based, Ethics-oriented University Transformation.” Analytic Teaching, Spring 2003.
Areas of Interest
- Moral philosophy (theory and applied)
- Social and political philosophy
- Environmental philosophy
- Philosophy of religion
- Philosophy of education/faith and higher education