- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- Professional Affiliations
- Professional Experience
Professor of Psychology, Chair of the Psychology Department, Pieper Family Chair of Servant Leadership
Office: Todd Wehr B17
- B.A. in psychology, Dartmouth College
- Psychology, Katholieke University of Leuvan, Belgium
- Ph.D. in psychology, Vanderbilt University
- Licensed psychologist December 2011
- Interdisciplinary Studies 200: Peace Studies in Jamaica InFocus
- PSC 110 General Psychology
- PSC 211 Research Design and Statistics
- PSC 300 Forensic Psychology
- PSC 300.03 Department Studies: Topics in Motivation: Training for a Half-Marathon
- PSC 310 Advanced Clinical/Counseling Psychology
- PSC 313 Social Psychology
- Crossroads Academy: Ripon students working with students at Ripon’s alternative high school
- Various other counseling/clinical internships in the Ripon area
Awards & Honors
- Senior Award 2000, 2005, 2008, 2013
- Severy Teaching Award 2011
- Invited Speaker, Baccalaureat Ceremony, 2011
- Dick Ringler Distinguished Peace Educator Award 2011-12
- Hatcher, J., Cares, S., Detrie, R., Dillenbeck, T., Goral, E., Troisi, K., & Whirry-Achten, A.M. (in press). Conformity, Arousal, and the Effect of Arbitrary Information. Group Processes and Intergroup Relations.
- With Rachel Detrie '15, chapter in Internationalizing the Undergraduate Psychology Curriculum: Practical Lessons Learned at Home and Abroad, published by the American Psychological Association in January 2016.
- Various publications on general theories of: behavior, peace studies, happiness
Areas of Interest
- The use of positive psychology in correctional settings
- 33 Happy moments: What do people remember and what is the effect of remembering?
- American Psychological Association
- Wisconsin Psychological Association
- "A Community Like Any Other? Positive Psychology Goes to the Nursing Home," September 2017, Ripon College Faculty Scholarship Series
- Poster presentation and participation in a Participant Idea Exchange about internationalizing the psychology curriculum, specifically on the Jamaica Peace Studies class, National Institute of Teaching Psychology conference, January 2016.
- Worked in the Department of Corrections doing group and individual therapy.
- Groups run include:
- Positive thinking
- Coping with incarceration
- Mental wellness groups
- Half-marathon/10K group