Bovay’s Mercantile officially opened in March 2017 in downtown Ripon and has since been moved to 430 Woodside Ave., on the first level of Campus Apartments.
Students order textbooks online using one of their own devices or an online kiosk located in Bovay’s. An online apparel and gifts store supplements the brick-and-mortar mercantile.
Student interns working in the space benefit from hands-on experiential training in marketing, event planning, apparel design, merchandising and small business management.
Bovay’s takes its name from Alvan Bovay, founder of Bovay’s Addition to the early town, which created the south end of Watson Street and paved the way for the founding of Ripon College. Bovay’s life exemplifies active citizenship and public service. He played a central role in Ripon’s development and was a founder of Brockway College (later Ripon College) and of the new Republican Party, founded in Ripon in 1854.