Feeling of being ‘home’ sparked transfer to Ripon College

It took a few tries, but the feeling of being at home at Ripon College finally brought Rachel Marine Brummer ’06 to the campus for good.

She started studying choreography at Colombia College of Chicago, but didn’t feel this was the best place for her. She returned home to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and took general education courses at Fox Valley Technical College, then attended the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh for a year.

“It was a good experience, but I didn’t have that feeling of where I wanted to be,” she says. “I was dating someone at the time who was attending Ripon College. I visited him often, and from the first time I stepped foot on the campus I felt at home. I had made some friends, met lots of people, and had fun every time I went to visit. I decided to attend Ripon in the fall of 2003.”

She says the transfer process was very easy for her — “by this time I was a pro!” Most of her general education credits transferred to Ripon College, where she majored in business administration.

“I also qualified for Ripon’s Transfer Scholarship, which was a nice surprise and very appreciated,” she says. “This made my Dad especially happy as he was doing my financial aid at the time.”

She says transferring to Ripon was a good experience. “I felt very comfortable transferring to Ripon,” she says. “The staff and students were very friendly. I had a great experience and made some wonderful, lifelong friends.”

Ripon College’s intimate setting was especially beneficial to her. “I got to know the teachers and staff and, more importantly, they got to know me,” she says. “This helped in guiding me toward the appropriate classes and path for my future.”

Brummer now lives in Prior Lake, Minnesota, and is a sales manager at SiteImprove in Minneapolis.

Learn more about Ripon’s generous Transfer Scholarships, request a Transfer Credit Audit and read more stories like Rachel’s at ripon.edu/spark.