Can we beat last year’s recycling total?
E-Cycle Mania, an electronics recycling event, will be held by Ripon College Sustainability on Tuesday, March 24. Students and campus employees are invited to bring old or unwanted electronic devices, such as laptops, tablets, phones and cords, to be safely recycled. If not recycled with care, many electronics can be a hazard to the environment, leaking chemical compounds that damage the soil and may cause disease, as well as exposing their sharp, metal inner parts to wildlife.
Drop-offs will be in the lobby of S.N. Pickard Commons from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. All dropped-off items will count toward Ripon College’s recycled amount for RecycleMania’s national drive. Last year, Ripon ranked first for pounds of recycled material per student among the Associated Colleges of the Midwest and second in all of Wisconsin. Bringing items to be recycled not only helps the environment but also helps the college demonstrate a fine example of a sustainable campus.
• Servers and backups (tapes, drives)
• Battery backup appliances (UPS)
• Printers/scanners/fax machines
• Ink and toner (in bags or boxes)
• Power tools
• Cell phones and chargers
• Cameras and chargers
• Cables and cords of all types
• Remote controls
• MP3 players/iPods
• Gaming systems, accessories and games
• Cable and satellite equipment
• Biological waste
• Items containing PCBs or mercury
• Computer towers and monitors
• TV’s from outside of Ripon
Questions or comments can be sent to the Ripon Sustainability via Twitter, @RiponSustain; or via email to [email protected]