Scientists featured in “On Wisconsin Outdoors”

Chemistry-biology major Raymond Allen ’15 and Assistant Professor of Biology Barbara Sisson braved the chilly temperatures early February to take tissue samples of registered sturgeon on Lake Winnebago. It was the opening day of sturgeon-spearing season.

They ran into John Luthens, who writes for On Wisconsin Outdoors, and he included the encounter in his story. Click here to read Luthens story.

“Their research involves the similarity in genetics of cartilage formation between lake sturgeon and other fish species,” Luthens wrote. “I can’t say I fully understand it, which is the heart of the matter on why I write about such matters, instead of possessing the intellect to actually do them.

“But I know dedicated science when I see it in action, and I know good people when I see them. Even when their sampling knife snapped in two because of the cold, they never missed a beat.”