"The rooms for the young ladies are in Bartlett Cottage and are very pleasantly situated, all having new furniture. The study-room measures 12X15, the bed-room 7 1/2 X 12. The floors have a painted margin of about 2 feet, so that rugs may be used if desired. The rooms have hard finished walls and are furnished with bed-stead, woven wire and wool mattresses, table, stand, and two or three common chairs. The whole building is heated by steam."--From the Student Handbook, 1890-91 (Provided by the Y.W.C.A and Y.M.C.A)
Note: The offices of the Dean of Students, the Registrar, and Career Development were moved from Middle Hall to Bartlett Hall when Bartlett was renovated in 1988.
References: Tomkies, p.6; Pictorial Review, p.4; Ripon College: A History, pp. 66- 67.
June 28, 1887- - Board of Trustees voted on "the site of the new cottage for ladies." Estimated cost without furnishings, $10,000.
September 15, 1888- - Mrs. Lucy Bartlett gave $6,000 towards construction of building. Thus, building was named, at her request, in honor of her husband.
1888-- Ready for occupancy. Originally designed to house 44 women. Room rent was $6.00 to $12.00. "Bartlett was the only women' s dorm at the time."
1894 -- Board of Trustees authorized "the putting of water into Bartlett."
1907-- Electricity and hardwood floors installed. Bathrooms moved from basement to upper floors.
1913-- By that time Bartlett had "been redecorated and made...up to date in every particular."
1918-_- Bartlett became Bartlett Barracks - men now lived in the building; women were assigned to the LeRoy Hotel and Scribner House.
1919-- Women moved back. Much damage had been incurred and while repairs were made, nothing was quite the same.
1924- - Bartlett's first sorority was Delta Delta Beta - 27 members.
1925 -- Delta Delta Beta petitioned to become Theta Upsilon, a national sorority.
1927- - Under the policy adopted by the Board of Trustees, the two-year period of consideration of the establishment of national sororities and fraternities on campus ended with There Upsilon being advised to discontinue its national membership.
1928 -- Kappa Sigma Chi, a local sorority, was formed.
1934 -- Infirmary. was installed in the north end of the basement of Bartlett Hall, made necessary by outbreak of 26 cases of scarlet fever. Two rooms for men and one room for women and a doctors' and nurses' office. "This marks the first year of an organized health service at Ripon for which each student was charged $3.00 per year. The initial expense for this venture was $1,142."
1935 -- "A new door was put into the north end of Bartlett so people could enter without disturbing the occupants of the infirmary."
1937 -- Bartlett received showers and a tub.
1938-- Bartlett was refurnished and redecorated. The cupola was removed at a cost of $1,000.
1939-- Bartlett housed freshman and transfer women only. "At least one older girl was assigned to each floor to act as a proctor."
1940- - Bartlett Annex (Old Merriman across the street from East) was used to accommodate the extra freshman women. Bartlett Annex became the College Infirmary.
1942-- Bartlett was again turned over to the army. Men moved into Bartlett and women moved into Merriman.
1942- - Survey made by College housing facilities.Report made to Board of Trustees: "The older halls like Bartlett, Smith, and West are very roomy and comfortable and have enough of what modern design would call "waste space" to house almost a third more students." In addition the survey cautioned: "Repairs should be made immediately when signs of deterioration show up. It is my estimation it is poor economy to let things get too bad before they are fixed."
1943-- Women moved back into Bartlett. A date bureau was set up in this building "in boosting the morale of the service boys...on campus."
1945-- Bartlett was redecorated and the former infirmary area was made into an apartment for Miss Hawkinson, the dietition.
1947-- Board of Trustees discussed moving Alpha Omega Alpha fraternity into Bartlett. "It would cost approximately $2,500 to add toilet facilities accommodate men and $1,000 to refurnish the lounge so as to be suitable for men."
1951-- Alpha Omega Alpha and the independent men moved into Bartlett.
1952-- The tower of Bartlett was removed.
1953-- Roof of Bartlett in bad shape, making the interior of the building in bad shape. Board of Trustees reported it would not be wise to spend $15,000 for a new roof and not remedy some of the other hazards at the same time. The Board approved "the sum of and not to exceed $1,000 for the purpose of retaining the services of an architect to survey this property and make it functional."
1954-- Alpha Omega Alpha became Theta Chi.
1958-- Bartlett was slated to be razed to make way for a new dining and kitchen facility. Theta Chi moved to the Quads. After Theta Chi moved out, the second and third floors were used for storage. The Music Department occupied the first floor. Even after Johnson Hall was built Bartlett continued to be needed for housing men until the third quad could be completed. Bartlett was then turned back over to women. The infirmaryturned-dietitian's apartment became Jerry Thompson's office.
In the mid 70's the Housing and Dining Hall Committee recommended that Bartlett Hall be closed as a residence hall. However, we are, of course, still using it as such.
The above material is a summary of a paper written by Jenny Spencer for George Miller's history of Ripon class.
1959-- It was determined that the enrollment increase anticipated for the 19591960 year made it mandatory that addition, al dormitory space was needed. It was decided in July of 1959 to install a new roof on the building and to prepare it for occupancy. Several of the third floor rooms, particularly the comer rooms, had severe plaster damage due to the leaking roof. Several other areas in the building had the finish coat plaster peeled off and it became a major task to ready the surfaces for painting. The entire interior of the building was redecorated. Several doors were split and had to be replaced. It was hoped that the building would be utilized for two or possibly three years and then would be phased out following the construction of the third quad which began in 1961. The third quad was occupied in the fall of 1961-1962. The full-time equivalent for that year was 698. Johnson Hall construction began in August of 1961, was completed in July of 1962, and occupied the 1962-1963 year. Our full-time equivalent student body was 748, Enrollment escalated in 19631964 to a full-time equivalent of 820. Bartlett housed men until it reverted to housing women in the 1962-1963 year. By the time Bovay Hall opened in the fall of the 1965-1966 year enrollment had increased to a full-time equivalent of 913. With the opening of Johnson Hall in 1962 the college discontinued using Duffey House, Harwood House, Lyle House, Parker's House, Tracy House and Hall House as residence halls,
1960- Installed new water heater.
1962-1963 -- Repainted the exterior of the building and half of the interior rooms.
1965-1966 -- Installed new lounge carpeting, lounge drapes and repainted the lounge.
1967-- Installed hand railings on both the south and east entrances. Replaced corridor lights with incandescent fixtures. Installed four new lavatories, four new toilets, new mirror units in both washrooms, 18 built-in clothes closets and installed a fire sprinkler system throughout the entire building, including basement and attic. All beds and mattresses were replaced. The existing shower rooms were renovated with the installation of new lead pans, water piping, mixing valves, shower heads and ceramic tile, Both washrooms were repainted. A new entrance door was installed on the south entrance. The entire exterior of the building was sandblasted.
1969-- All student rooms were repainted. The basement was converted into a study area. New lighting was installed and the walls were repainted.
1970-- Stairwell and hall corridors were repainted. Replaced water heater.
1972-- Enrollment peaked with a Fall opening of 1059 F.T.E.
1974-- Redecorated 14 rooms. Enrollment for 1974/75 dropped to a F.T.E.. of 912. Building condition bad and its continued use without a major renovation is probably not feasible,
1975-- Installed new roof over the flat deck area. Discussions relative to phasing the facility out of service prompted the Housing and Dining Hall Committee to recommend that the building be closed as a residence hall. New television set and aerial installed.
1977-- The Department of Industry, Labor and Human Relations required the installation of a fire-rated stairwell enclosure.
1978-- Showers leaking, extensive caulking and regrouting done in attempt to stop the leaks. Wood frame interior seems to move and the grouting cracks.
1979-- New lounge carpet installed.
1980-- The exterior and several student rooms were repainted,
1981-- Installed new radiator valves,
1982-- Painted main lounge and 13 student rooms. Installed 36 smoke alarms,
1983- Installed battery operated emergency lighting system in corridors and stairwells.