- A.B. in philosophy, University of Rochester, N.Y.
- Ph.D. in philosophy, Duke University
Current Courses Taught
- PHIL 300 The Philosophy of Hunting and Fishing
Awards and Honors
- Consultant-evaluator, North Central Association of Colleges and Universities, 1994-2010. Team Chair, 2004-2010. Multi-site evaluator, 2010-present.
- Great Teacher Award, Southern Illinois University, 1971.
- May Bumby Severy Award, Ripon College, 2001.
Areas of Interest
- The philosophy of evolution
- The origins of morality and consciousness
- Environmental ethics
- Social and political philosophy
- 20th-century Anglo-American philosophy