- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest & Research
- Professional Affiliations
- B.A. Mathematics, Lawrence University
- M.T.S. Theology, Philosophy, and Ethics, Boston University School of Theology
- Ph.D. Religious Studies, Boston University
Current Courses Taught
- REL 115: Introduction to Ethical and Servant Leadership
- REL 222 Introduction to Buddhism
- REL 235 Religious Models of Servant Leadership: Mohandas K. Gandhi & Martin Luther King, Jr.
- REL 240 Introduction to Eastern Religions
- REL 330: Religion in American History
- REL 344 Religious Responses to Globalization
Awards and Honors
- MLK Week Drum Major Award, Ripon College, 2014
- Dempster Graduate Fellowship, The United Methodist Church, 2011
- Reverend Edmund M. Beebe, Lucinda Bidwell Beebe, and Frank D. & Bertha Howard Fellowships, Boston University School of Theology, 2009-2010
- Jacob Sleeper Fellowship, Boston University School of Theology, 2008
- David H. Tribou Fellowship, Boston University School of Theology, 2008
- Dean’s Fellowship, Boston University Dept. of Religious & Theological Studies, 2008-2012
- Student LeadershipSociety, Boston University School of Theology, 2007
- LANTERN Service Award, Lawrence University, 2002
- “The Geographic Imagination and the Expansion of Methodist Missions in Southeast Asia.” International Bulletin of Missionary Research 38:3 (July 2014): 130-134.
- “Alcohol, Opium, and the Methodists in Singapore: The Inculturation of a Moral Crusade.” Mission Studies 29 (2012): 147–162.
- “Chinese Methodists in Malaysia: A Typology of Mission and Migration”. InHandbook on Popular Spiritual Movements in Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. Edited by Michael Poon. (Expected publication in 2014).
- With Dana L. Robert. “World Growth of the United Methodist Church in Comparative Perspective: A Brief Statistical Analysis.” Methodist Review 3 (2011): 37-52.
- Co-Editor, Newsletter of the American Society of Church History 4:2-6:2 (Jan. 2009-Oct. 2011).
- “Missionary Education and the Chinese in Malaysia: A Case Study for the Symbiotic Growth of the Methodist Movement.” Methodist History 48:3 (April 2010).
- “Racial Images in John Wesley’s Thoughts Upon Slavery.” Wesleyan Theological Journal 43, no. 2 (Fall 2008).
- “Religious Organizations as Migratory Systems: Methodist Chinese in Malaysia,” Joint ASCH-EHS Conference, Oxford, UK, April, 2014.
- “Methodists in Malaysia and the Making of the Global World,” ASIANetworks, Nashville, TN, April 14, 2013.
- “Growing a Church, Growing a Colony: Foochow Settlers in Sarawak,” American Society of Church History, New Orleans, LA, January 6, 2013.
- “The Chinese in Southeast Asia, Western Capitalism, Education, and Methodist Missions,” American Academy of Religion, Chicago, IL, November 18, 2012.
- “American Mission Agencies as Transnational Corporations: The Example of the Missionary Society and Woman’s Foreign Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church,” Religion and the Trans, Evanston, IL, October 13, 2012.
- “Opium, Alcohol, and Methodists in Singapore,” American Studies Association, Baltimore, MD, October 21, 2011.
- “World Growth of The United Methodist Church in Comparative Perspective,” with Dana L. Robert, Quarterly Board Meeting of the General Board of Global Ministries of The United Methodist Church, New York, NY, October 10, 2011.
- “Creating a Travel Counseling Call Center: Recommendations for Innovative Mobility Management,” with Emily Kearns and Valerie Parker Callahan, Aging in America 2011 – Annual Meeting of the American Society on Aging, San Francisco, CA, April 29, 2011.
- “‘The Spirit-Filled Teacher’: Methodist Educational Missions in Nineteenth-Century Asia,” American Society of Church History Winter Meeting, Boston, MA, January 8, 2011.
Areas of Interest
- Servant Leadership
- Comparative World Religions
- Religion in Asia
- History of Christianity
- World Christianity
- American Society of Church History
- American Academy of Religion