Assistant Professor of Art, Chair of Art Department
Office: Rodman 135
- Basic Information
- Areas of Interest
- Ph.D. University of Pittsburgh
- M.A. University of Pittsburgh
- B.A. Gustavus Adolphus College
- Global Art History: Ancient to Medieval
- Global Art History: Renaissance to Today
- Modern Art
- Art Now
- Art Fakes, Frauds and Heists
- Colonial and Postcolonial Art in Africa, Asia and the Americas
- Indigenous Art of the Americas
- Visual Studies
- Senior Seminar in Art
- Art history, theory and criticism
- Modern and contemporary art
- Ancient Mayan art and archaeology
Personal website: http://travisnygard.com/
- Nygard, Travis. Review of Treasuring the Gaze: Intimate Vision in Late Eighteenth-Century Eye Miniatures by Hanneke Grootenboer. Visual Studies. Vol 29. No. 1, (January 2014), page 119. Also available online:http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1472586X.2012.717777
- Nygard, Travis and Pamela H. Simpson. “Indians Playing Indian at the Midwestern Corn Palaces, 1892-2013.” Southeastern College Art Conference (SECAC) Review, 20013.
- Nygard, Travis. Review of Antidiets of the Avant-Garde: From Futurist Cooking to Eat Art by Cecilia Novero by Cecilia Novero. Food, Culture, and Society: An International Journal of Multidisciplinary Research. Vol. 16. No. 2, (June 2013), pages 324-327.
- Nygard, Travis. “Food and Art.” In Routledge International Handbook of Food Studies, edited by Ken Albala. London: Routledge.
- Nygard, Travis. Review of Chair by Anne Massey. Visual Studies. Available on the Taylor and Francis website as of February 6, 2012, and slated for printed publication:http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1472586X.2012.642971
- Nygard, Travis. “Reinterpreting the Life and Art of Grant Wood: A Review Essay.” Review of Grant Wood: A Life by R. Tripp Evans. Annals of Iowa, Vol. 70, No. 4 (Fall 2011), pages 358-67.
- Nygard, Travis E. and Pamela H. Simpson. “Indians at the Corn Palaces: Race and Reception at Two Midwestern Festival Buildings.” Buildings & Landscapes: Journal of the Vernacular Architecture Forum. Vol 17, No. 1, (2010) pages 35-52.
- Nygard, Travis. “Grant Wood and the Visual Culture of Agribusiness.” Athanor. Vol 27, 2009, pages 79-85.
- Nygard, Travis and Alec Sonsteby. “Castration.” In The Cultural Encyclopedia of the Body, edited by Victoria Pitts, pages 502-507. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press (2008).
Areas of Interest
- Modern and contemporary art
- Visual culture
- Maya and Mexican art
- Food and farming
- Nygard, Travis. Can we Understand the Sexuality of Andy Warhol’s Alexander the Great?: Historical Fiction as Primary Documentation. The Southeastern College Art Conference, , Sarasota, FL, October 8-11, 2014.
- Wren, Linnea, Kaylee Spencer, and Travis Nygard. “What do Art Historians Contribute to the Maya Picture?: Approaches to Understanding Maya Art.” “Beaker and Brush” series at the Science Museum of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN, June 8, 2013.
- Wren, Linnea, Kaylee Spencer, and Travis Nygard. “To Face or to Flee from the Foe: Women in Warfare at Chichen Itza.” The Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology, Memphis, TN, April 22, 2012.
- Nygard, Travis. “Was Grant Wood a Feminist? Rethinking the Murals.” Symposium “Celebrating Grant Wood” at the University of Iowa, April 14, 2012.
- Bender, Lisa, Gursimran Walia, Krishna Kambhampaty, Kendall E. Nygard, and Travis Nygard. “Social Sensitivity and Classroom Team Projects: An Empirical Investigation,” presented at the ACM Special Interest Group on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE) conference, Raleigh, North Carolina, February 29 – March 3, 2012.
- Nygard, Travis, Kaylee Spencer, Linnea Wren, and Amanda Hankerson. “Sculptural Mutilation at Palenque and Tonina: Rethinking the Evidence.” The Southeastern College Art Conference. Savannah, Georgia, November 10, 2011.
- Nygard, Travis. “Grasshoppers and the Damnation of Memory in a Farming Community: The Story of Two Destroyed Sculptures.” The Joint 2011 Annual Meetings of the Agriculture, Food, and Human Values Society (AFHVS), Association for the Study of Food and Society (ASFS), & Society for Anthropology of Food and Nutrition, held in Missoula, Montana, June 10, 2011.
- Nygard Travis and Linnea Wren. “Bridging Archaeological and Art Historical Methodologies in the Cochuah Region of Mexico: A Study of Space at the Maya Site Yo’okop.” 2011 Annual Meeting of the Society for American Archaeology. Sacramento, California, April 1, 2011