- Ph.D., The Pennsylvania State University
- M.A., Colorado State University
- A.B., Ripon College
Current Courses Taught
- Public Speaking
- Rhetoric of Social Movements
- Rhetorical Criticism
- Political Communication
- American Public Address
Awards and Honors
- May Bumby Severy Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, Ripon College
- Robert G. Gunderson Award for the Outstanding Debut Paper in Public Address Division, National Communication Association
- The Ninth Annual Kenneth Burke Essay Contest, Honorable Mention, for essay titled “The CIO’s Comic Book Campaign,” Penn State University
- Sparks Fellowship, Penn State University
- Phi Beta Kappa, Ripon College
Recent Publications and Presentations
- “Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker’s Strategies for Taking on Public Unions.” Journal of Contemporary Rhetoric, Issue 1, vol. 2 (2011).
- “Patriots and Saints: How the NFL Helped America Cope with Terrorists and Natural Disasters,” [co-authored with Amanda Breitenfeldt '06] in Sports Mania: Essays on Fandom and The Media, McFarland & Co. (2008).
- “Establishing Counter-Hegemony through Narratives: The Comic Books of the Congress of Industrial Organizations,” in Who Says? Working-Class Rhetoric, Class Consciousness and Community, University of Pittsburg Press (2007).
- “Anti-Conspiracy and Anti-Propaganda Rhetoric in Joe Worker and the Story of Labor: The Use of the Comic Book Form.” Journal of the Wisconsin Communication Association (Summer 2000).
- “Stock Issues-Based Policy Speech Small Group Exercise,” Communication Teacher 14 (Winter 2000).
- Official member of National Speakers Bureau
- Secular Student Alliance