- B.A. Smith College
- M.A. University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Ed.D. University of Nevada
Current Courses Taught
- EDU 242 Arts Integration for Elementary and Middle School Teachers
- EDU 281 Inquiry Based Instruction in Science and Social Studies
- EDU 300.02 Chicago Practicum: Arts Integration for Teachers
- EDU 316 Middle School Education
- EDU 412 Philosophical and Social Foundations in Education (on rotating basis)
- EDU 421 Student Teaching: Music
- EDU 471 Student Teaching Seminar (with other faculty)
Community involvement (director, Ripon Middle School musical 2005 – Present ) Director, Ripon College – Fisk University program and conference
- American Alliance for Theatre and Education
- American Eductional Research Association
- Educational Theatre Association
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Middle School Association
- “Utilizing Youth Theatre as a Means of Developoing Inter-Cultural Communication,” presented at American Alliance for Theatre and Education Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 2011.
- “From Wisconsin to Wales and Back,” presented at Meeting Global Challenges 2006: Best Practices for Practitioners, Lake Geneva, Wis., with Mary Williams-Norton, November 2006.
- “NAPOLME Best Practices in Middle Level Education: Community Asset Mapping as a Means to Educate Within cultural Context, ” presented at the National Middle School Association Conference, Philadelphia, Pa., November 2006.
- “Arts Integration in the Content Area Classroom, ” presented at the National Middle School Association conference, Minneapolis, Minn., November 2004.
- “Addressing Student-Held Beliefs Concernig Diversity: Lesson Ideas from a Rural College’s Educational Studies Program, ” presented at the International conference on Teacher Education and Social Justice, San Francisco, July 2004.
- “Beyond Car Washes and Candy Sales: Fund-raising in the Educational Environment,” presented at the Educational Theatre Association/Oregon Theatre Arts Association Joint Convention, October 2002
- “Making Theatre Visible in and Integral to the Middle School Curriculum,” presented at the National Middle School Theatre Forum, February 2001
- “Theatre in the Middle School Environment,” presented at the National Middle School Association Conference, November 1998
- Katz, S.M. (2006) “Using Community Asset Mapping as a Means to Develop an Understanding of Diversity in Teacher Education Students,” Current Issues in Middle Level Education, 12 (1), 41-45