Professor of Chemistry
Office: Farr 310
- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- 1975 B.A., Chemistry, Lake Forest College
- 1979 Ph.D., Inorganic chemistry, Yale University
- Global Chemistry
- Structure and Reactivity
- Survey of World Cinema
- Descriptive Inorganic Chemistry
- Quantum Mechanics
- Advanced Laboratory
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Ripon College Greens
- Ripon College Amnesty International Group
- Cinemaniacs (Film Organization)
Awards & Honors
- Phi Beta Kappa
- NSF Research Opportunity Award, University of South Carolina, 1989
- Associated Colleges of the Midwest Grant for Advising Minority Student Research, 1990
- Research Corporation Grant: Transition Metal Complexes of the –CH2OR Ligand, 1990-1991
- Severy Award (Ripon College) for Excellence in Teaching, 1992
- ACS-PRF Grant: (ACS-FRF#33004-B3) The Effect of Ligand Asymmetry on Framework Coordination Complexes, 1997-1999
- Atherton, Z.; Goodgame, D.M.L.; Katahira, D.A.; Menzer, S.; White, A.J.P.; Williams, D.J. Chain and rhombiodal “box”-like polymeric metal complexes of N,N’-1,2-ethylenebis(pyridin-2-thione). Polyhedron. 1998, 17, 2257-2265.
- Benjamin A. Joas; Jeanne H. Norton and Dean A. Katahira, 1999. “Synthesis of the Unsymmetric Bidentate Ligand 1, 2 – (N-2-pyrrolithione) (N’ – 3 – methyl-2-pyrrolithione) ethane and the Ligand Precursors 2-Pyrrolithione aminoethane for Use in Framework Coordination Complexes”. The 10th Annual Argonne Symposium for Undergraduates in Science, Engineering and Mathematics, November 1999.
- Benjamin A. Joas; Jeanne H. Norton and Dean A. Katahira, 2000. “Synthesis of the Unsymmetric Bidentate Ligand 1, 2 – (N-2-pyrrolithione) (N’ – 3 – methyl-2-pyrrolithione) ethane and the Ligand Precursors 2-Pyrrolithione aminoethane for Use in Framework Coordination Complexes”. The 30th Annual Wisconsin Undergraduate Research Symposium in Chemistry. Oshkosh, Wisconsin, April 2000.
- Kacie M. Louis, Christopher R. Rydz and Dean A. Katahira, 2006. Control of spatial distribution of metal centers in framework coordination complexes,Poster Presentation at the 231st American Chemical Society Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, March 26 through 30, 2006.
Areas of Interest
Areas of Interest
- I am interested in the design and synthesis of solid state materials containing transition metal centers. Such materials may be used to test interesting ideas involving the interaction of light with the solid state.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Yale University, 1979-1981 (with R.D. Adams)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Northwestern University, 1981-1984 (with T.J. Marks)
- University of South Carolina, NSF Research Opportunity Award, Summer 1989 (with R.D. Adams)
- Academic Visitor, Sabbatical leave at Imperial College, London, Fall 1993 (with D.M.L. Goodgame)
- Visiting Faculty, Sabbatical leave at University of Iowa Chemistry Department, 2000 (with E. Gillan)