Chester I. Ismay
Assistant Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science
Office: Todd Wehr 210
- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- Professional Affiliations
- B.S. Applied and Computational Mathematics, South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
- M.S. Statistics, Northern Arizona University
- Ph.D. Statistics, Arizona State University
- MTH 120 – Elementary Statistics
- MTH 220 – Data Analysis
- MTH 331 – Probability
- CSC 211 – Computer Science
Awards & Honors
- US Department of Education Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need Research Fellowship, Spring 2013
- Arizona State University Block Grant Research Fellowship, Summer 2012
- Northern Arizona University Master of Science Graduate With Highest Honors, 2008
- Northern Arizona University Department of Mathematics and Statistics Graduate Student Scholar of the Year, 2007-2008
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Cum Laude Graduate, 2006
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology Mathematics Senior of the Year, 2005-2006
McShane, J. M., Mlsna, P., Maynard, J., Ismay, C. and Brown, S. (2008) How prepared mathematically are entry level engineering students? Proceedings of the 2008 Annual Conference & Exposition of the National Society for Engineering Education, Pittsburgh, PA.
McShane, J. M., Mlsna, P., Maynard, J., Ismay, C. and Brown, S. (2008) Mathematics Skills Assessment and Training in Freshman Engineering Courses. Abstracts of Papers Presented at MathFest 2008, 52.
Areas of Interest
- Statistics education
- Statistical computing
- Analysis of sports data
- American Statistical Association
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- The International Association for Statistical Education
- The Bernoulli Society for Mathematical Statistics and Probability
- The International Association for Statistical Computing
- Ismay, C. (2014) Increasing Communication and Problem-Solving Skills in a Liberal Arts Probability Course. Joint Mathematics Meetings. Baltimore, MD.
- Ismay, C. (2013) A Multivariate Extension for TestU01. Joint Mathematics Meetings. San Diego, CA.
- Ismay, C., Maynard, J., and Brown, S. (2008) Mathematics Skills Assessment and Training in Freshman Engineering Courses. American Society of Engineering Education. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Ismay, C. (2006) Which NFL Team is Best? Using Mathematics to Provide An Answer. Rocky Mountain Section of the Mathematical Association of America. Colorado Mesa University, Grand Junction, CO.
- Ismay, C. (2012) Random Numbers: Their Importance and Rules for (Almost) Creating Them. Friday Afternoon Mathematics Undergraduate Seminar. Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ.
- Ismay, C. (2006) Ranking Methods: Determining the Best NFL Team Using Several Mathematical Techniques. Math and Computer Science Colloquium. South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Rapid City, SD