David J. Hutson
Professional Academic Site
- Ph.D.(2012), Sociology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- M.A., Sociology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- B.A., Sociology, San Francisco State University, San Francisco
- B.A., English, Indiana University, Bloomington
Current Courses Taught
- Sociology 110: Introduction to the Sociological Imagination
- Sociology 210: Special Topics: Sociology of Women, Men, and Gender
- Sociology 210: Special Topics: Sociology of Sexualities
- Sociology 210: Special Topics: Sociology of the Body
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Hutson, David J. 2013. “‘Your Body is Your Business Card’: Bodily Capital and Health Authority in the Fitness Industry.” Social Science & Medicine, 90, 63-71.
- Hutson, David J. 2011. “Looking Within from Without.” Advances in Medical Sociology, Vol.12: Sociology of Diagnosis, pp. xxix – xxxvii, PJ McGann and David J. Hutson (eds). Emerald Publishing Group: Wales, UK.
- Hutson, David J. 2010. “Standing OUT/Fitting IN: Identity, Appearance, and Authenticity in Gay and Lesbian Communities.” Symbolic Interaction, 33(2), 213-233.
- Martin, Karin A., David J. Hutson, Emily Kazyak, and Kristin S. Scherrer. 2010. “Advice When Children Come Out: The Cultural ‘Tool Kits’ of Parents.” Journal of Family Issues, 31(7), 960-991.
Under Review and In Preparation
- Hutson, David J. “Plump or Corpulent? Lean or Gaunt? Historical Categories of Bodily Health and the Contemporary ‘Obesity Epidemic.’” (Under Review)
- Hutson, David J. “Negotiating Status in Personal Trainer-Client Interactions: The Relationship of Bodily Capital to Gender and Age Hierarchies.” (In Preparation)
Areas of Interest
- Health and Illness
- Qualitative Methods