- B.A. in political science, DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.
- M.A. in international relations, University of Chicago
- Ph.D. in political science, University of Chicago
Current Courses Taught
- POL 111 Global Political Cultures
- POL 112 Global Political Economy
- POL 180 Survey of World Cinema
- POL 370 Chinese Politics Through Film
- POL 372 Development and Change in Latin America
- POL 373 China in Transition
- POL 376 Politics of Contemporary Europe
- POL 380 The Politics of International Cinema
- POL 501-502 Senior Seminar
- GLB 501-502 Senior Seminar
Awards and Honors
- Alumni Scholarship, Council on International Educational Exchange International Faculty Development Seminar “Cuba in Changing Global Community,” Havana, Cuba, July, 2012
- April, 2007 – present: Chair, Fond du Lac County Board of Supervisors
- August, 2005: Review Panelist, Faculty Research Awards for Historically Black, Hispanic-Serving, and Tripal Colleges and Universities, The National Endowment for the Humanities, Washington, D.C.
- Severy Outstanding Teaching Awards, 1987, 1997
- Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- Eighteen research and travel grants awarded by agencies including the National Endowment for the Humanities, the National Science Foundation and the DAAD
- Midwest Faculty Fellow, Regional Worlds 1998-99, The University of Chicago
- Executive director, Wisconsin Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies 1999 – 2003
- Member, Central Europe/Russian Task Force Steering Committee, Global Partners Project of the ACM, GLCA and ASC, 2002 – 2006
- Coordinator: Ripon College Global Studies Program; Study Abroad Programs in Japan, China, Russia
- Faculty adviser: Ripon College Democrats
Recent Publications and Presentations
- “Understanding Socio-economic Issues in China Through Recent Feature Films.” Paper presented to the National Conference of the Asian Studies Development Program of the East-West Center (University of Hawaii-Manoa), Seattle, WA, March 30, 2012.
- “Homophobia,” The Encyclopedia of Global Studies (Mark Juergensmeyer and Helmut Anheier, eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2012.
- “The Malthusian Idea,” The Encyclopedia of Global Studies (Mark Juegensmeyer and Helmut Anheier, eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2012.
- “The Panic Spreads: Insights into the Eurozone Crisis.” Invited Lecture for the Great Decisions Series of the Foreign Policy Association, Fond du Lac, WI, Feb. 1, 2011, and Manitowoc, WI, March 1, 2011.
- “The Global Financial Crisis, 2007 –? Causes and Consequences.” Invited Lecture for the Great Decisons Series of the Foreign Policy Association, Fond du Lac, WI, Feb. 23, 2010, and Manitowoc, WI, March 1, 2010.
- “U.S.-China Economic Relations: Strategic Partners or Embittered Rivals?” Invited Lectures, University of Wisconsin-Fond du Lac, UW-Manitowoc, Madison Area Technical College, and UW-LaCrosse, March-April, 2008.
- “Globalization and Culture: Homogenization, Polarization, or Hybridization?” Plenary Address, The World Affairs Seminar, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, June 13, 2007.
- “Recent Feature Films and the Construction of Civil Society in China.” Paper presented at the Asian Studies Development Program National Conference, Nashville, TN, March 16, 2006.
- “China and India: New Commonalities, Continuing Fault Lines.” Paper presented in the Foreign Policy Association Great Decisions series, Fond du Lac Public Library, March 28, 2006.
- “Using Recent Feature Films in Teaching the Post-Communist Transitions,” Roundtable Presentation at the Concluding Symposium of the Global Partners Russia/Central Europe Taskforce, The University of Richmond (VA), April 9, 2005.
- “Dynamics of Economic Growth and Political Change in Contemporary China.” Paper presented in the Foreign Policy Association Great Decisions series, Fond du Lac (WI) Public Library, Feb. 15, 2005.
- “Chinese Politics in Film: From the Fifth Generation to the Sixth, and Beyond.” Paper presented in the Faculty Forum Series, Medaille College, Buffalo, NY, March 18, 2004.
- “East Asian Miracle or Catastrophe in the Making? Contrasting Views of Contemporary Japan.” Paper presented to Annual Meeting of the Rocky Mountain Southwest Regional Japan Studies Association, Colorado Springs, CO, October 25, 2003.
- “Cooperation or Unilateralism in Today’s Global Arena?” Keynote Address, Seventeenth Annual Student Conference of the Wisconsin Institute for Peace and Conflict Studies, Oshkosh, WI, April 5, 2003.
- “Finland” in Collier’s Russian Encyclopedia (Moscow: Central European University Press/Open Society Institute, 1999).
- “The Republic of Finland: Suomen Tasavalta,” in The World Encyclopedia of Political Systems and Parties, Deborah A. Kaple, ed., third edition, (New York: Facts on File Press, 1999).
- “Global Power or East-Asian Tinderbox? China in the Post-Deng, Post-Cold War Era,” in The Rise of East Asia: Conflicting Visions of the Pacific Century, ed. Mark Berger and Douglas Borer, (Routledge, 1997).
- Numerous book reviews for Choice on works regarding China and Globalization Issues.
Areas of Interest
- Global Political Economy
- Politics and Film
- Chinese politics and U.S.-China relations
- European Politics
- Latin American Politics