Adjunct Professor of Physics
Office: Farr 114
- Basic Information
- Awards & Honors
- Areas of Interest
- B.S.. mechanical engineering, mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Platteville (2001)
- Ph.D. , mechanical engineering with a minor in nanoparticle science and engineering, University of Minnesota (2006)
- Physics 101 – Everyday Physics
- Physics 151 – Introductory Physics I
- Physics 152 – Introductory Physics II
- Physics 330 – Advanced Mechanics
- Physics 333 – Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics
- Physics 440 – Advanced Laboratory and Computational Physics Problems
- Physics 500 – Senior Seminar
Awards & Honors
- Teaching Fellow, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota (2005-2006)
- S.J. Warthesen, U. Kortshagen, and S.L. Girshick, “Numerical Simulation of Nanoparticle Transport During Plasma-Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition,” IEEE Trans. on Plasma Sci. 33(2), 398 (2005).
- S.L. Girshick and S.J. Warthesen, “Nanoparticles and Plasmas,” Pure and Applied Chemistry, 78(6), 1109-1116 (2006).
- S.J. Warthesen and S.L. Girshick, “Modeling nanoparticle effects on a low-pressure plasma,” Proceedings, 17th International Symposium on Plasma Chemistry, Toronto, Canada, Aug. 7-12, 2005, unpaginated compact disk.
- S.J. Warthesen and S.L. Girshick, “Simulation of particle growth and transport in a dusty plasma,” AIP Conference Proceedings: 4th International Conference on the Physics of Dusty Plasmas.
- S. Warthesen, S.L. Girshick, and U. Kortshagen, “Monte Carlo simulation of nanoparticle transport in a plasma,” 56th Annual Gaseous Electronics Conference, San Francisco, Oct. 21-24, 2003; “Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc.,” 48(6), 39 (2003).
- U. Bhandarkar, S. Warthesen, S. Girshick, and U. Kortshagen, “Temperature Effects in Nucleation and Transport of Particles in Silane Plasmas,” Proceedings, 16th International Symposium on Plasma Chemistry, Taormina, Italy, June 22-27, 2003, unpaginated compact disk.
- S. Warthesen, U. Kortshagen, and S. Girshick, “Numerical simulation of particle transport in a plasma sheath,” 55th Annual Gaseous Electronics Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Oct. 15-18, 2002; “Bull. Amer. Phys. Soc.,” 47(7), 25 (2002).
- U. Bhandarkar, S. Warthesen, U.R. Kortshagen, and S.L. Girshick, “Particle Nucleation in Low-Pressure Silane Plasmas,” Abstracts, 21st Annual AAAR Conference, Charlotte, North Carolina, Oct. 7-11, 2002, p.120.
- S. Warthesen, U. Bhandarkar, U. Kortshagen and S. Girshick, “Computational Modeling of Homogeneous Nucleation and Particle Growth During Chemical Vapor Deposition of Silicon Films from Silane Plasmas,” MRS Symp. Proc. 715, 31-36 (2002).
- L. Ma, S. Warthesen, and D.A. Shores, “Evaluation of materials for bipolar plates in PEMFCs,” “Journal of New Materials for Electrochemical Systems,” 3(3), 221-228 (2000).
Areas of Interest
- Simulations of nanodusty plasmas
- Plasma physics
- Nanoparticle science and engineering
- Heat transfer and fluid flow