- Ph.D., University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- M.A., University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- B.A., George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
Current Courses Taught
- Anthropology 110 Introduction to Anthropology
- Anthropology 175 Asian Cultural Studies: Asia Through Texts
- Anthropology 213 Human Origins
- Anthropology 217 Society in India
- Anthropology 226 Indians of North America
- Anthropology 316 Nature of Culture
- Anthropology 402 Senior Seminar
Awards and Honors
- Ralph Hale Ruppert Distinguished Professor of American History, Principles and Traditions, 2002
- Wenner-Grenn Foundation Grant (with Jim Laine) to support the IXth International Conference on Maharashtra, Macalester College, 2000
- American Institute of Indian Studies Senior Research Fellow, 1996
- Fulbright Fellowship for teaching and research in India, 1989
- Severy award for excellence in teaching, Ripon College, 1985 and 1994
- NEH Summer Seminar: “Anthropological Models in South Asian History,” University of Chicago, 1978
Recent Publications and Presentations
- “Living on the Edge: The Village and the State on the Goa-Maratha Frontier,” “The Indian Economic and Social History Review,” XLV: 553-580. 2008.
- “Common Ground: Risk, Scarcity and Shared Resources in Goan Agriculture,” “Human Ecology,” (co-authored with Michelle Fuerch), 34(1): 79-98. 2006.
- “Imagined Communities: Portuguese Colonialism and Goa’s Villages,” “Portuguese Studies Review” (co-authored with Michelle Fuerch) IX:466-293, 2001
- “Listening to the Text: The Many Voices of the Goa Archives in Fourth Centenary Volume of the Goa Archives,” in Fourth Centenary Volume of the Goa Archives,” Ed. S. K. Mhamai. Panaji: Directorate of Archives and Archaeology, (co-authored with Michelle Fuerch). pp. 144-164.
- “Portuguese Orientalism and the Making of the Village Communities of Goa,” “Ethnohistory” (co-authored with Michelle Fuerch) 43:439-476. 1998
- “Structuring Diversity: The Revitalization of Morisco Identity,” in “Mediterranean Perspectives,” pp. 151-163 (with Michelle Fuerch). 1997
- “Flight of the Deities: Hindu Resistance in Portuguese Goa,” “Modern Asian Studies” (co-authored with Michelle Fuerch) 30:387-420. 1995
- “Cultural and Historical Factors in the Population Decline of the Parsis of India,” “Population Studies” 44:401-419. 1990
Areas of Interest
- Native Americans