Life After Ripon: Katlyn Lee ’12

Chapter 12: A Year of Reflecting

[Editor’s Note: Katlyn Lee ’12 and Jeremy Johnson ’12 are writing monthly entries for the Ripon College Newsletter chronicling their own post-graduation experiences. We hope you enjoy their perspectives on Life After Ripon!]

June 5, 2013
Dear Journal,

Katlyn Lee

Katlyn Lee ’12

One year.

One year ago I graduated from college, tears filling my eyes, but a smile filling my face. The memories of the past four years flooded my thoughts, but hopes, dreams, and goals for the future eased the pain of leaving behind the place I grew to call home and the friends I grew to call family. Although I wasn’t entirely sure what the future and my new job would hold for me, I felt that indescribable feeling in my gut that the next year of my life would hold many beginnings, triumphs, and challenges for me.

One year ago I was also presented the opportunity to blog once a month for my Alma Mater and give whoever cared to listen a glimpse into my life as a post-graduate working girl. I must admit that while I was excited to contribute to my school after graduation I was also wary that what I had to say just may not be interesting. For all I knew the next year of my life may be some monotonous, lackluster event – like what the movies sometimes scare young adults into thinking life after college may be. Who would want to read about that?

Fortunately I would like to believe my life has been anything but that overdone, stereotypical big screen portrayal. I’ve gone through moves and work changes. I’ve made new relationships and lost relationships. I’ve learned how good it feels to be able to buy things with my hard-earned money and I’ve felt the sting of financial surprises. And most importantly, I’ve learned just how capable I am of creating a life and being someone I’m proud to be.

While not everything I’ve gone through has been easy, I can truthfully say this past year has allowed me to grow as a person. When placed in certain situations I can sense a change in my attitude and maturity. My actions and thoughts have all changed from who I was 10, 5, and even one year ago. I actually catch myself smiling sometimes when I realize how differently I handle each new day and new situation. I’ve learned a lot of lessons in the past year and I’ve learned a lot about myself. Growth is a wonderful thing and I’d like to believe writing my thoughts in this blog has helped me to realize each lesson even more.

With every entry to the blog I’ve been forced to sit down, recollect the month past and pinpoint just what event, action, or moment I learned the most from. Even in the months that seemed less than out of the ordinary, I always seemed to find something to take from them and share with you. I would say writing this blog has been a blessing in disguise. It’s helped me through a lot and may have brought me an opportunity to blog in the near future for someone else. I can’t even begin to express how much that excites me.

I guess in the end what I’m trying to say is that a year can seem like forever and a blink of the eye all at once. While daunting at first, when looking back it amazes me just how quickly time goes by and how much things can change during that time. I’m so grateful for these changes and for the chance to have my voice and thoughts heard this past year. So thank you, Ripon College and newsletter readers, for allowing me the chance to express myself and grow through my writing this past year. Thank you for taking the time to read and on occasion even share your thoughts on my life with me. I take each email and every word of advice to heart.

Thank you for sharing a year post-Ripon with me. I will never forget it.

Katlyn M. Lee. ’12
[email protected]