Ask Ripon College on Twitter


Admission | FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

How does Ripon College define “international student?”

Ripon College recognizes that there are many types of international students on our campus. While the traditional definition includes only those without U.S. citizenship, we have many groups of international students on campus. At Ripon, international students include non-U.S. citizens who attended high school in the U.S., non-U.S. citizens who have never been to the U.S., dual citizens, and U.S. permanent residents.

Is there someone at Ripon from my country?

International student numbers have been increasing the last few years at Ripon, and we are so excited at the diverse representation of those individuals! The total number of foreign students in the 2013-2014 school year is 35, which accounts for 4% of the population. These individuals join The Ripon family from Japan, Brazil, China, Myanmar, Germany, Nepal, and other locations around the world. We welcome your distinctive background to our campus, and know you will find Ripon to be your home away from home.

What resources are available on campus for international students?

The Lane Library, Collaborative Learning Center, Student Support Services, Counseling and Health Services, Career Development Office, Information Technology Services, Registrar Office.

Does Ripon offer English as a Second Language or other intensive English programs?

The College does not currently provide English as a Second Language or other intensive English programs.

A neighbor to Ripon, Wisconsin English as a Second Language Institute (WESLI), located in Madison, Wisconsin, provides students with a variety of services. Individuals can enroll in to their program and apply to Ripon after admissible English speaking levels are attained.

How do I obtain a visa to come to the United States?

The United States State Department provides a list of U.S. Embassies by individual country. This information will be beneficial to you in setting up your visa appointment.

Prior to your appointment, you will need to receive appropriate documentation from Ripon to provide proof of your acceptance to the College.

Do foreign applications have earlier deadlines?

International applications are handled in the same manner as domestic applications. The Ripon Admission Office processes applications on a rolling admission cycle. In an effort to manage appropriate paperwork in a timely manner, it is highly encouraged that foreign students apply as early as possible prior to the start of their intended enrollment date.

Is the TOEFL required?

Applicants for whom English is not their first language are required to demonstrate their proficiency in English. Ripon will consider results from the TOEFL, the following admissible minimum scores: Paper-550, CBT-213, or IBT-79, or the Advanced Placement International English Language Exam (APIEL).

How do I apply for financial aid?

As an international student you do not qualify for federal funding from the United States government. At Ripon College you are eligible to receive scholarship funding should you qualify. In order to be considered for financial assistance, you must complete and submit a Certificate of Finances Form (PDF).

The College Board International Financial Form will also be accepted.

Please note that you must include an official, notarized financial statement as a supplement to either form.

How can I estimate the cost of tuition and room and board?

Ripon’s 2014-2015 comprehensive fee is $42,567.  This is comprehensive, and includes tuition, room, board, and student activity fee.  Books are not included in that fee. On average a student will spend around $500.00 a semester on books.

Can I work to help pay for my education, and do I need a work permit to work in the United States?

Yes, you can work to help pay for your education.  In order to work in the United States you must obtain a Social Security number.  This can only be taken care of once you have arrived on campus and secured a job.  As a student you are eligible for an on campus job only.

How cold does it get/how bad are the winters?

Wisconsin winters are beautiful, but can get very cold.  Students from varying climates have adjusted quite well.  Average temperatures for the coldest months of the year (December-February) range from 8-15 degrees Fahrenheit.   During the winter heavier jackets or coats are necessary, and gloves/mittens, scarves, and hats are beneficial.

What are the residence halls like?

Ripon is a residential campus, which means that over 90% of our student body lives on campus all four years of study.  Students have a variety of living options, which include a traditional double room with one other roommate, suite style with three other roommates, and apartment style living for upper classmen.

Where can we receive medical care in the area?

A full-time nurse is staffed on campus to assist students with their ailments.  Should something occur that requires additional medical attention the Ripon Hospital is less than a mile away.

Am I required to have health Insurance while studying at Ripon College?

International students studying at Ripon College are required to provide proof of health insurance during their time on campus. Ripon College has worked with two insurance companies who provide great coverage for international students. For students participating in NCAA Division III athletics, please work through Geo Blue Travel, and make sure to ask for an “Athletic Ryder.” All other students not participating in NCAA Division II Athletics at Ripon College should apply for insurance through Student USA.